Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
If you thought ice hockey was hard...
Posted By: SouthShoreRob, 07-16-2008, 08:27 PM

try indoor lacrosse - same dingy arena, only no more ice to help "reflect" the light. Yikes. Even my F2.8 shots at 1/250th and iso 1600 were underexposed. Made the switch to the FA50mm for second period and got some better stuff. Here's an example. Might give it another go Sunday.

Views: 2,741
07-17-2008, 04:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Rob,

Since there's no EXIF - are you saying this was taken with the FA50.
07-17-2008, 05:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rob

Shot actually looks pretty good, but one comment, it looks like the noise reduction / smoothing was over aggressive.

If you look at the legs of the player with the back to us, the colors appear to me a little too pasty
07-17-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Hi Rob,

Since there's no EXIF - are you saying this was taken with the FA50.
Indeed JC, this was with my FA 50mm F1.4; exif can be seen for each shot via my website's "photo info" icon. In this particular case, it was K10D, ISO 640, F2, 1/250th, 0 EV, AWB.

07-17-2008, 06:20 AM   #5
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Rob

Shot actually looks pretty good, but one comment, it looks like the noise reduction / smoothing was over aggressive.

If you look at the legs of the player with the back to us, the colors appear to me a little too pasty
Thanks, yeah it was something I had considered not implementing - Bibble's basic noise reduction - but knowing that I wanted to PSE sharpen them as a final step, I indeed did use the NR; more for the ISO 1000 shots, but to save time, I did them as a batch.
07-17-2008, 06:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks pretty good to me. No doubbt a very tough sport to shoot. I think you did very well and wth them coming straight toward you it makes focusing even tougher. Was that shot through the glass?
07-17-2008, 08:23 AM   #7
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Looks pretty good to me. No doubbt a very tough sport to shoot. I think you did very well and wth them coming straight toward you it makes focusing even tougher. Was that shot through the glass?
Oh yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that too. Indeed, I was behind the net and therefore behind the plexiglass which is suffering from lack-of-cleaning-for-the-past-year syndrome; common to most of our city owned and run rinks it would seem, lol.

Thanks for taking the time to look/comment.

Rob

07-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Love the shot,
Both my boys play Box & Field lacrosse. I have coached for several years now and never seem to get a chance lately to photograph the games. The lighting is a challenge. This year we are hosting the BC Provincials for PeeWee (11 & 12 year olds) July 23- 27. It should be great fun and tough competition. (5 games in 2 1/2 days is a physical and mental challenge).