Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
New Camera (Non Pentax)
Camera: Canon G-16 Photo Location: Columbia, Missouri 
Posted By: BravoMike, 06-12-2016, 06:05 AM

Only camera I own that is not a Pentax. Wanted a P&S for times when it is not convenient to carry a DSLR. Bought the Canon G-16. So far, I like it. Still learning how to get best results. Let me know what you think.

Took these pictures while walking around the University of Missouri campus. My daughter will be attending starting this Fall.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot G16  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF

Views: 827
06-12-2016, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely picture quality from that G16, and very nice shots. Lots of detail
06-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Love the third one! Great picture!
06-15-2016, 01:19 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think he's looking to lift a leg over that Canon.

06-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Nice series- I especially like the last shot!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-15-2016, 07:58 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks! There have times when carrying my Pentax and a couple lenses was not practical or I didn't have room. Missed some opportunities. The Canon fit what I was looking for in a P&S size camera as well as my budget. I wish Pentax/Ricoh had some options other than the GR.
06-15-2016, 08:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A very good series of shots, that P&S Canon has proven it's worth.

06-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Very nice pix.

A few years ago I bought a new Canon G 12, a predecessor of the G 16. I bought it as a small daily carry around. It's been fine.

A few issues with the G 12, that I don't know if they affect the G 16.

Lens flare is a significant problem. For outdoor photographs I have to be very conscious of the position of the sun.

Size....it's not much smaller than my Pentax Km with my 40mm pancake Limited. It's a bit of a chunky beast, which I don't mind.

Strap. I may have had a defective one, but it let go a number of times. I replaced it with an after market strap, which has been excellent.

No printed manual, just a CD. When I go out and about, I don't carry my laptop with me...or even my wife's tablet. I like having a print manual that I can stuff in a camera bag for ready reference.

The eye viewer is not very good, but the flexible monitor is very clear (even in bright sun) and exceptionally effective in getting different angles for photographs. I love the monitor, hate the ineffective eye viewer.

What I like about it.

Very well built. Because of the crummy strap my G12 actually fell, hit a hardwood floor. The G 12 stood up fine (although I don't recommend dropping it ), but enough was enough and I dumped the Canon strap that day.

The outside button system is excellent and I really like the adjustable over/under exposure control on the outside of the camera.

It's a relatively small sensor, but it's a good one. Punches over it's weight limit.

Love the shape, the design. To me, as a Leica (older screw mount) Rangefinder owner I really like the G series design. It has more than a hint of the Leica RF about it....compressed maybe, but still nice.

Ergonomically for a small camera, the controls, the general feel of the camera is very good.

I also bought a Canon 430 EX ll flash for it. A great combo with the G 12. Excellent clear pix.
06-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #9

Original Poster
So far, lens has not flared on me. But, I have not done a whole lot of shooting outdoors in different situations. I agree on the optical viewfinder. Not that great, but will work for me when needed. I use my own wrist strap. Camera came with a neck strap. I am going to have to make a cheat sheet to carry until I get to know the camera better. I have the manual downloaded on my iPad which I usually have with me or close by.

I agree with you, G-16 is well built and I like the feel in my hands. Control placement is nice. More like a DSLR than a P&S where you have to go to menus to make a lot of the changes. It is a little bigger than most P&S cameras and not really a pocket camera, but that is fine with me. Will easily fit in a coat pocket.

I really do wish Pentax/Ricoh would look at making at least a few P&S size cameras similar to the G-16. If they did and where as good as their DSLR's, I would be 100% Pentax.
06-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BravoMike Quote

I really do wish Pentax/Ricoh would look at making at least a few P&S size cameras similar to the G-16. If they did and where as good as their DSLR's, I would be 100% Pentax.
I agree. I know Pentax does have the Ricoh GR ll, with it's fixed wide angle lens and I will admit this has an appeal for me, particularly because this camera has a relatively large ASP-C sensor. Larger than my G 12 and the same size as my K-5.

However, the issue that keeps me from considering the GR ll....is the fact that these cameras seem prone to getting dust on the sensor, which has been a deal breaker for me. My info comes via the Ricoh GR section of this website and there seems to be a number of GR owners who experience this problem.

I've never had a dust on sensor problem, with my Canon G 12. It has essentially been a very good, smaller camera, with DSLR type controls and so far, the camera itself has had no issues, touch wood. I've had it since 2011 and it has provided excellent service.