Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Dragonflies
Lens: Tamron 70-200 f2.8 SP AF Camera: Pentax K3 ISO: 500 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F9 
Posted By: Top banana, 06-12-2016, 12:08 PM

took a wander along the river to try and capture some dragonflies - a macro lens might have been better but fairly happy with the way that the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 performed. All C&C welcome.

Views: 750
06-12-2016, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Top banana Quote
took a wander along the river

Hopefully with an eye-out for giant hogweed!

Lovely colors on these, especially the first. FWIW, you can tell these are all "damselflies" (Zygoptera) from the way they hold their wings over their bodies while perched--their close kin, dragonflies (Anisoptera), hold their spread out while resting (in addition to usually being a bit more robust.)
06-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Hopefully with an eye-out for giant hogweed!

Lovely colors on these, especially the first. FWIW, you can tell these are all "damselflies" (Zygoptera) from the way they hold their wings over their bodies while perched--their close kin, dragonflies (Anisoptera), hold their spread out while resting (in addition to usually being a bit more robust.)
many thanks for the info - never knew about damselflies, they did seem smaller than the dragonflies that I sometimes see along the river. They
did have some fantastic colours though, almost 'metallic' looking in the sunlight.
06-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lovely! Wonderful colours and a good level of details.

I am shooting insects with my DA* 300mm myself at the moment, with my 100mm macro being in for warranty repair. The long focal lenghts have their advantage for creatures like dragonflies and butterflies that scare easily.

I had a look at your exif data for these on flickr, and you shot all these at 200mm and f/8 - seems like you get quite a good depth of field out of that! Did you crop heavily?

06-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Top banana Quote
some fantastic colours though

They are beautiful, aren't they? I've not even tried to capture them, but it seems you have the knack with your Tamron.
06-12-2016, 11:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
Lovely! Wonderful colours and a good level of details.

I am shooting insects with my DA* 300mm myself at the moment, with my 100mm macro being in for warranty repair. The long focal lenghts have their advantage for creatures like dragonflies and butterflies that scare easily.

I had a look at your exif data for these on flickr, and you shot all these at 200mm and f/8 - seems like you get quite a good depth of field out of that! Did you crop heavily?

Not to much of a crop on these, probably around a third typically just to help reframe the subject better .The tamron seems to deliver some good close ups even though it's not really suited to doing these sorts of images.
06-17-2016, 08:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful collection of damselflies. The colors are so intense. Great job.