Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Open Door Policy
Posted By: Mike Cash, 07-17-2008, 06:40 AM

Pentax K20D
S-M-C Takumar 105/2.8

I took four K-mount lenses to work yesterday to try out with the K20D. As far as I am concerned, my Takumars either equal or outperform them. I brought two of them back home today, leaving only my DA70 Limited and a Cosina MF 20/3.8. The K20D viewfinder is so much brighter than the K100D and the Takumars are so much easier to use and of such great quality that I really doubt my K-mounts will see very much use at all except on my ME film body. I even toyed with the idea of selling them.
Views: 1,722
07-17-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shot Mike. Love it. Perfect title to match.

I'm hearing more and more of this with the old Tak's and the 2 new bodies, particularly the K20D. It seems these old gals have a whole new life with the new DSLR's.
07-17-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I used to think that I wished Pentax would release the K20D with a Spotmatic F style open-aperture metering M42 mount. But it does so very well just as it is that I now see there would really be no point to it. In daylight conditions the viewfinder is fine for focus confirmation down to about f8 (where I usually shoot) and for composing even down to f22.

I'm just glad this fellow wasn't...how shall I delicately phrase it....otherwise engaged.
07-17-2008, 08:27 AM   #4
SouthShoreRob

Hahaha hilarious capture. Sometimes you just gotta go so bad not even the door matters.

07-17-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Well, at least you can see that one is occupied. No more having someone rattle the door while you are in there.

I really like the results you are getting with your Takumars and the K20d. Looks like an excellent combination. So I take it that you are not using a split prism screen on the K20d? Are you still using the foil on the contacts trick to help with the exposure accuracy?
07-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

caught..

Great shot Mike.. lol..

Nothin like being caught in the act.. huh?? Thanks for the smile!!

Kim
07-18-2008, 06:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
Well, at least you can see that one is occupied. No more having someone rattle the door while you are in there.

I really like the results you are getting with your Takumars and the K20d. Looks like an excellent combination. So I take it that you are not using a split prism screen on the K20d? Are you still using the foil on the contacts trick to help with the exposure accuracy?
Nope. No foil on the contacts and (so far) no problems with varying metering results depending on the lens used. It is metering just fine for me. I am using the stock focus screen. It is very bright compared to the K100D and focus is a breeze, although I do use the focus confirmation light/beep as insurance. Interestingly, the camera seems to have done away with the "FI with S lens mounted" menu item. Shooting Takumars on the K20D is easier than rolling off a log.

07-18-2008, 06:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It sounds like they have worked out some of the bugs then, very nice. This isn't the kind of information that I need to keep me from spending money I don't have! Hmmm, how much are those k20's going for now, I may have to check that out. Thanks for the info.
07-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #9

Hahaha! Great shot!