Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Anyone else like the DA*200 and 1.7x TC as their walking around combo?
Lens: DA*200 + F1.7x AF Adapter Camera: K-3 Photo Location: My back yard ISO: 400 Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: normhead, 06-19-2016, 08:22 AM

Or more to the point, does anyone else even have this combo? Inquiring minds want to know.

K-3, DA*200 and F 1.7x AF adapter.
ƒ5.6, 400 ISO, AV

The DA*200 and 1.7 which give me 340mm and ƒ4.5 seems to have become pretty much my walk around lens these days. I put the 70 macro on the tripod and took it out with me, but I never used it once. The DA* 200 is easily hand holdable, so none of these images used a tripod. Yet I had not one image ruined by motion blur, in fact they are all incredibly sharp. I know it's all K-1 this K-1 that right now, better AF blah blah blah, but, how do you improve on 100% AF accuracy?

From my time out today, I sat for at least a half hour in the blind and saw, a couple of Blue Jays and a Nut hatch, that were in and out so fast I got no pictures.

My one shot taken from the blind.... well this was taken yesterday without the 1.7. Ones taken today with the 1.7 didn't have enough DoF.

For some reason there were 8 of these guys on a canoe that was on the lawn. For some reason they like Kevlar and Resin

But I did manage to get one guy on a birch tree, after I spooked him.

Tess prefers this crop, so I better put it in.

There are maybe 3 Blue Jays to be seen from the blind and a couple of squirrels and chipmunks, but there are lot's of flowers in the gardens.

We have a Robin nesting on our porch. She built her nest and laid her eggs while we were away, so she has to learn to live with us. We try and go out the basement door. But, she's getting pretty good at ignoring us when we don't. This one taken from 15 feet away.

Sitting on top of the wood shed after returning from a mission. Waiting for the coast to be clear so she can return to the nest.

From now on when people ask what to get for a walk around lens I'm going to suggest the DA*200 ƒ2.8 and F 1.7x AF adapter. It works for me. I guess it just depends on where you walk around

Last edited by normhead; 06-19-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Views: 941
06-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #2

Hi Norm,
I often use an A-200 (f4) along with the 1.7x on my K-S2 and am very happy with the results. It's not the fastest obviously but still great for general purposes in good light. Great shots you got there, by the way.
06-19-2016, 09:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Awesome... we should start a club.... you can be president. I'll be treasurer. The 200mm lens plus 1.7x club.
06-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #4

I even tried a 2x tak on top of that! Well, that combo only gives good "Impressionism" results to rival the old masters of the early 1900's!! (Slight exaggeration.)

06-19-2016, 02:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Walkingwolf Quote
I even tried a 2x tak on top of that! Well, that combo only gives good "Impressionism" results to rival the old masters of the early 1900's!! (Slight exaggeration.)
I had a Sigma 120-400 that was about the same as using a Photoshop "watercoulur" filter. I assume eI could have traded it in for a better one, but it was already my second attempt. I gave up and went for the 60-250 instead.
07-09-2016, 04:51 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Not sure I'd ever think of this combo, but those are some great results! Especially like the last shot.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: