Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Seriously???
Lens: Bigma 50-500 HSM OS Camera: K1 Photo Location: Woods of Otis ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: Rupert, 07-07-2016, 08:17 AM

I recently read in a thread here that no "Serious Birder" would ever shoot with Pentax gear....seriously, I did read that. It was a total shock to me, and I assumed that my lying eyes have been deceiving me all these years of admiring wonderful bird shots on this forum shot with Pentax gear?

Anyhow, since I am not a "serious anything" I decided to go ahead and post these and hope the poster of that comment is not too badly offended by them.

I liked the way the light played in the late afternoon.....

You "not serious" Pentax bird shooters keep on shooting...you can always count on old Rupert to admire your work!

Regards!
Views: 1,639
07-07-2016, 08:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These are great examples of the point you are making. I agree wholeheartedly!
07-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those are seriously sharp photos with seriously good depth of field to isolate the subject from the background...not to mention the seriously good dynamic range.
07-07-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

but seriously now ( i assume serious must be greatly over used in the responses), what does Otis think of you shooting serious shots without him. or is the dove only due to lack of flying squirrels in your neck of the woods?

the other point is that no serious birder takes photos, they spend their money on spotting scopes, and binoculars, and travel to crazy places to spot more birds than anyone else.

photos? who cares, as long as it is checked off on their life list

07-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe those aren't really birds Rupert and that is why the pentax was able to capture them so perfectly.
07-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #6
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the bird is saying "Is that a Pentax. You can't be serious!"

Very nice shots in all respects.The type of comment that sparked this thread just says "read no further". It indicates the person has opinions but no real knowledge of their subject.
07-07-2016, 02:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
Thanks guys...and Susan!

I'm not sure what the poster was aiming for with that statement, but we have all seen fabulous bird shots from Pentax gear. I assume he was serious and not being malicious, but to post that on a Pentax Forum is not what Otis calls "Big Brain Thinking".

I get some decent shots every so often, mostly luck since I am truly not a deadly serious shooter, but I see plenty of wonderful birds here from my fellow Pentaxians that are serious. If I concentrate...which is not often enough, I can get shots that satisfy me...and sometimes even Otis.

Good enough for me......not really for Otis...he hates birds, claims they "fowl" the air.

Otis does not like attacks on Pentax or Pentax shooters......me neither!

Best Regards!

07-07-2016, 02:30 PM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Otis does not like attacks on Pentax or Pentax shooters......me neither!
Especially on the Pentax Forum! roll eyes

Rupert, your photos definitely show what a foolish statement that was. Those Doves are a beautiful example of what a Pentax can do!
07-07-2016, 03:55 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Those White-winged Doves look slightly different from the ones in Tucson. I shoot them with my 6x7 (Pentax of course).
07-07-2016, 08:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Rupert, your photos definitely show what a foolish statement that was. Those Doves are a beautiful example of what a Pentax can do!
Thanks Carol, but remember, I am not a pro shooter by any stretch.....those that are serious can outshine me any day of the week. Still...it is not a total matter of gear, the skill of a serious shooter is the biggest factor, and we all know from experience that we have those shooters here and they do their magic with Pentax. You will not find me insulting their integrity as shooters or for using Pentax. They know what they are doing and it shows in their work.

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
Those White-winged Doves look slightly different from the ones in Tucson. I shoot them with my 6x7 (Pentax of course)
Yes...We have several varieties on my area too. I think there are hundreds of different types of doves from what I have read.

I only see three here at my place in the Woods of Otis.

Whitewings
- The most common, and I often see over a hundred on my cedar fence at feeding time morning and evening.

Mourning Doves-They are more scarce around here, I only see a few here most days.

Spanish Doves- My favorites. They are much smaller and mate for life. Lovely little birds!

Their under wings are very colorful

I love all the birdies here......very pleasurable to view and photograph.

Most of the varieties here are in this gallery... https://www.flickr.com/photos/129469263@N03/albums/72157651162955781/page1

Regards!
07-07-2016, 08:55 PM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

Nice shots. They are well done. Yet now try capturing them in flight.. I think that is where the negativity lies due to the 'poor' AF tracking.. at least that is what I figure about what they are talking.

Last edited by mee; 07-08-2016 at 10:15 PM.
07-08-2016, 10:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Nice shots. They are well done. Yet now try capturing them in flight.. I think that is where the negativity lies due to the 'poor' AF tracking.. at least that is what I figure about what they are talking.
Poor tracking by the K1 is a matter of strong debate and not a matter of fact.

Personally, I have never had much interest in BIF shots......a few I have seen are wonderful, but most are boring to me. I prefer to see them in a natural setting..like on a Cheater Branch!

Anyhow, squirrels claim that birds "fowl" the air.

Not singing...gasping for air on a very hot and very humid day.

On a Cheater Branch...see the screw holding it on to the tree trunk?

Regards!
07-14-2016, 02:05 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Great shots Rupert!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe it is time to remind the person that suggests pentax is not for serious birders, that if he does not think pigeons and doves are serious subjects, i will send my backyard bully after him. he does take pigeons and doves seriously (for lunch)

07-14-2016, 01:51 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I think that is where the negativity lies due to the 'poor' AF tracking.. at least that is what I figure about what they are talking.
As for birds in flight, with a Pentax camera you don't need AF anyway. Panned shot.

Shot with my first DSLR Pentax the K100D with Sigma 70-300mm @300mm