Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Thoughts & opinions please
Posted By: rmtagg, 07-19-2008, 01:27 PM

Views: 2,935
07-20-2008, 12:18 AM   #16
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
Cropping suggestions?????
I thought something like this. I hope it's not too harsh for you.
Gary

Last edited by Damn Brit; 09-23-2008 at 10:44 PM.
07-20-2008, 12:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I thought something like this. I hope it's not too harsh for you.
Gary
That does work for me too Thanks!
07-20-2008, 12:41 AM   #18
Damn Brit

That does work for me too Thanks!
You're welcome.
07-20-2008, 12:42 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
You're welcome.
Ya do have a good eye

07-20-2008, 02:12 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Overall Rosemary I like the original shot - it has a surreal quality to me with the in focus flower just making one think about the surrealism... I would print and hang it myself
07-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rosemary

My initial impressions. Love the way the light leads the eye up diagonally to the right. The oof bee does not bother me at all, personally I think it adds to the dreamlike quality, it seems like it is 'heading towards the light' as it were. The only thing that I'm not sure about it the upper right corner, which is unfortunate as it it the focal point (for me anyway) of the whole composition. I haven't made up my mind whether or not I love or hate the specular highlights around that grouping of flowers there. BTW despite what another poster has said I don't think that grouping is clipped (overexposed) it just looks that way becacuse of the specular highlights behind it. BTW I agree with you about the in focus flower, it needs to be blurred like "woof" posted.

ps prefer the original to Gary's crop, the original is darker and more dreamlike, Gary's crop focuses too much attention on the upper right corner

NaCl(you could title it "bee dreams" )H2O
07-20-2008, 11:11 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fula6 Quote
Overall Rosemary I like the original shot - it has a surreal quality to me with the in focus flower just making one think about the surrealism... I would print and hang it myself
That is one of the best possible compliments I could get thank you. I am thinking about printing it up really big bee(lol) cause I want to hang it in my home. It is so peaceful, that is another thing people are telling me about my impressionistic work. I just had not thought of the pics that way but it too is a nice compliment.

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Rosemary

My initial impressions. Love the way the light leads the eye up diagonally to the right. The oof bee does not bother me at all, personally I think it adds to the dreamlike quality, it seems like it is 'heading towards the light' as it were. The only thing that I'm not sure about it the upper right corner, which is unfortunate as it it the focal point (for me anyway) of the whole composition. I haven't made up my mind whether or not I love or hate the specular highlights around that grouping of flowers there. BTW despite what another poster has said I don't think that grouping is clipped (overexposed) it just looks that way becacuse of the specular highlights behind it. BTW I agree with you about the in focus flower, it needs to be blurred like "woof" posted.

ps prefer the original to Gary's crop, the original is darker and more dreamlike, Gary's crop focuses too much attention on the upper right corner

NaCl(you could title it "bee dreams" )H2O
Thank you. I wish I knew what that highlight was. It is worse in other pics I shot right after this one. At first I though I was catching another been taking off but I dont think that is it either. thank you for explaining "clipping" I really did not know what it meant. Seaani did a great job with the blurring

07-20-2008, 11:33 AM   #23
Veteran Member

top right..

Hey Rosemary.. Beautiful as always..

I am with Salty though.. that spot on the top right is really wierd and distracting for me.. You might try to crop it out but then you would take alot of the "light" away from the pic as well.. so not sure how to handle that at the moment..

I like the bee as well.. .. Great shot.. I hope your show is going well for you too!!

Kim
07-20-2008, 11:38 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Paul, I can see where the bee in focus would have been a nice shot So maybe not everything can go impressionistic? Hm, will have to figure out if shots like this will work if I shoot them a bit differently. My question is, is it annoying because you are expecting crisp and focused or is it just really bad??? Hm, will have to get through more of my shots from today to see if I have one where the bee is either closer to the bottom flower or is more in focus, either would help I think
Rosemary: First - correct me if need be - I remember that your goal is to

• print images directly as they come out of the camera, other then resizing and maybe some slight cropping
  • present a signature impressionistic look and feel to your images balancing color, light and focus zones within the frame
  • present striking images.
Pretty cool stuff, actually. I'm THINKING about how I would technically achieve those goals in this shot (if I could do it and if it were my style). My observation, after reading the responses and your comments about them, contrary to my earlier comment about the bee focus, is that the solution might have been to narrow the depth of field to capture the bee, and then de-focus the image. Currently your focus zone appears to be on the first layer of coneflowers.

To my inexperienced eye that makes the image appear incorrectly focused, since the traditional technique is to center the eye on the action. Of course that could be your entire point - to "break the rule" -

In any case the play of lighted and shaded flowers is interesting, the positioning of color throughout the frame holds the eye in the panel (again, drawing it to the bee) and the colors blend well.

Bee in focus and everything else blurred would have been a cool shot, although not your style.
07-20-2008, 12:50 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Rosemary: First - correct me if need be - I remember that your goal is to

• print images directly as they come out of the camera, other then resizing and maybe some slight cropping
  • present a signature impressionistic look and feel to your images balancing color, light and focus zones within the frame
  • present striking images.
Pretty cool stuff, actually. I'm THINKING about how I would technically achieve those goals in this shot (if I could do it and if it were my style). My observation, after reading the responses and your comments about them, contrary to my earlier comment about the bee focus, is that the solution might have been to narrow the depth of field to capture the bee, and then de-focus the image. Currently your focus zone appears to be on the first layer of coneflowers.

To my inexperienced eye that makes the image appear incorrectly focused, since the traditional technique is to center the eye on the action. Of course that could be your entire point - to "break the rule" -

In any case the play of lighted and shaded flowers is interesting, the positioning of color throughout the frame holds the eye in the panel (again, drawing it to the bee) and the colors blend well.

Bee in focus and everything else blurred would have been a cool shot, although not your style.
Yep you know my goals which is why I could not sell this pic as a true impressionistic piece of art once there is manipulation. How ever I could sell it as a manipulated photo but it seems so against my goals. Only thing is I love the photo, lol I would hang this one in my home I think. Might look differently printed up large. Hm am thinking how coll it would look on canvas. Fortunately I took this pic along side our driveway so I may have another shot at getting something similar. I have to agree the been in focus would have been cool. You want to know what is funny? I used selective focus and did not even notice the flowers at the bottom were in focus. So back out to shoot in a few mins to see if I can get something right from the camera that I can use.
07-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

*snip*

Thank you. I wish I knew what that highlight was. It is worse in other pics I shot right after this one. At first I though I was catching another been taking off but I dont think that is it either. thank you for explaining "clipping" I really did not know what it meant. Seaani did a great job with the blurring
Since these flowers are beside your driveway, could you be picking up a reflection from something in either the driveway or a window or something like that? It looks to me like an oof reflection of something bright, it wouldn't even have to be very big. Since this photo will be "manipulated" anyway, is there a way to just darken the highlight? (I'm sure there is but my Photoshop skills are pretty bad) Since you are going to blur the foreground flower anyway, why not get the same person (it seems like your PS skills are as good as mine) to darken that highlight just a smidge and see what it looks like?

NaCl(can't hurt to try)H2O
07-20-2008, 04:14 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Since these flowers are beside your driveway, could you be picking up a reflection from something in either the driveway or a window or something like that? It looks to me like an oof reflection of something bright, it wouldn't even have to be very big. Since this photo will be "manipulated" anyway, is there a way to just darken the highlight? (I'm sure there is but my Photoshop skills are pretty bad) Since you are going to blur the foreground flower anyway, why not get the same person (it seems like your PS skills are as good as mine) to darken that highlight just a smidge and see what it looks like?

NaCl(can't hurt to try)H2O
Well that is an idea. This angle faces our neighbours yard and I am trying to think of what could have been there to cause that reflection. I will have to go out tomorrow late afternoon to see if I can pick up on the problem. It makes sense that I might as well have that area fixed. I think I can still sell it but would have to make sure to note that it had been fixed. It is a bit frustrating to work hard at getting everything just as you like it then realise after down loading the pics something was in focus! LOL, I be the complaint is usually the other way around