Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
An English Rose (two days, two different lenses)
Camera: K5 
Posted By: MSL, 07-11-2016, 08:05 PM

The same rose shot on two different days, the first time using the 18-55 WR and the second time using the F50. I know the first day was quite grey and overcast and I can't recall, but I suspect it was sunnier the second time. I did a bit more massaging to the 18-55 images to bring up the brightness and contrast, and only minimal (close to none) tweaking for the F50 pictures.

18-55 WR (The first image was taken about an hour after the second and third but with little change to the lighting conditions)

F50

Views: 909
07-11-2016, 08:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice images, love the first and third.
07-12-2016, 08:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Love the third closeup. Shows the beauty of the rose.
07-12-2016, 08:40 AM   #4
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Very nice images, love the first and third.
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Love the third closeup. Shows the beauty of the rose.
Thank you both. Knowing how much I admire each of your photographs, the feedback is much appreciated.

07-12-2016, 06:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really beautiful images and also very interesting. I like the variety of composition in your photography.

Thanks for sharing.

Antonio
07-12-2016, 07:10 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

#3 is the best of these in my opinion. It goes to show what the mighty 18-55 WR is capable of in good hands. It is interesting to note the different rendition between the lenses. I am not certain too many conclusions on lens performance can be drawn from this due to differing condition and PP but you demonstrate the value of examining your subjects in different ways and in changing light conditions.
07-12-2016, 07:24 PM   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Really beautiful images and also very interesting. I like the variety of composition in your photography.
Thank you Antonio. Very much appreciated.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
#3 is the best of these in my opinion. It goes to show what the mighty 18-55 WR is capable of in good hands
I don't often think of myself as having good hands as I usually don't capture what I'd like to capture. And I don't think I thought much of these photos when looking at them in-camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
It is interesting to note the different rendition between the lenses. I am not certain too many conclusions on lens performance can be drawn from this due to differing condition and PP but you demonstrate the value of examining your subjects in different ways and in changing light conditions
Absolutely true - the 18-55 renders a bit darker and so tends to disappoint when viewed in-camera. But I should give it a bit more use. One other factor - the rose itself may have been changing color. I'm pretty sure that within a few days after the second set of photos the rose wasn't worth photographing any more. Interesting that folks like #3 so much - it was taken at 55mm, and #2 at 42mm. The 18-55 does okay at its long end, and is weakest at its short end, but you'd think would be strongest in the middle.

I suppose an interesting PP challenge would be to make the rose in the two sets the same hue/color/brightness etc. (as best possible) and to see what happens to the greens and the background in the process. Is it just an overall lighting issue or the way the two lenses render?

07-12-2016, 07:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good crisp well focused images.
07-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Beautiful! I especially like the second shot. It's a great example of what the kit lens can do.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: