Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Rat Snake (& friends)
Lens: FA 100 macro, Adaptall 90 (+2XTC), Tokina 400 Camera: K 5 Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 07-17-2016, 07:58 PM

Hot summer days are perfect for reptile and amphibian watching. Have led plenty summer hikes lately, and it seems we keep on finding Black Rat Snakes. Here's one that was "hanging out" in the fork of an old cedar tree. Notice the cloudy look to his eyes - he will soon be shedding.

Here's another much friskier Black Rat Snake found by some young hikers. Of course, they wanted me to catch him, and, of course, he bit me several times. He also buzzed his tail against the leaves, so we'd think he was a rattlesnake!

Here are a few closer views of his handsome face.

And, just for fun, one in B&W.

Another hike found us watching some rather shy Snapping Turtles in a small pond. We just got this one glimpse before they both dove.

Will end with one summertime amphibian - a young Green Frog just barely out of the tadpole stage. The young hikers who found this tiny friend were very good at quiet, slow stalking!

Hope you enjoyed these cold-blooded friends, and will share your suggestions and critique!
Views: 720
07-17-2016, 11:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The clarity in the third shot is impressive. The fourth one is nice too, as is the B&W conversion which may just be the best of the bunch

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-17-2016, 11:25 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very crisp and detailed.
07-18-2016, 05:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The clarity in the third shot is impressive. The fourth one is nice too, as is the B&W conversion which may just be the best of the bunch
Thanks so much! That FA 100 macro sure is a sharp little lens. B&W conversion is thanks to free Nik software...

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Very crisp and detailed.
Thanks!!

07-18-2016, 07:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent. You're a braver man than me, Batman! I guess they are non-venomous if he bit you several times.
07-19-2016, 07:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

That first closeup of the rat snake is marvelous. Another fantastic series of the wildlife you encounter. I really look forward to your posts when you get back from a hike. Keep them coming please.
07-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Nicely done. I love my FA 100 macro. You've put yours to good use.
07-20-2016, 09:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Great series. In Maryland, the Black Rats are as common as Garter snakes. Very lucky to have them. I am impressed with your photography and this lens' performance.