Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Old Banger
Lens: DA 15mm f4 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Tailem Bend ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/6s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: ozwald, 07-17-2016, 09:20 PM

Do any of the American members know the make of this car. The badge is unreadable to me but the letters appear to run diagonally across it. The ridges in the pressings of the front mudguards may also be a clue.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 673
07-17-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
From the rounded radiator grille and the mudguard pattern, I'd be inclined to say it's a Chrysler of some sort, especially as the radiator badge has the letters running diagonally. They were popular in the early days in Australia, so if this one is in Old Tailem Town, it'd be a fair guess. I don't think it's likely to be a Dodge, Willys or Oakland, and it certainly isn't a Ford.
07-17-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Rob, I suspect you're right. Although I can't read the letters it appears there are 8 of them, which favours the name Chrysler.
07-17-2016, 10:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I forgot to mention Chevrolet as not being likely, too, again because of the shape of the radiator grille. The general body shape, as well as the headlight bezels, makes it look like an American car of the 1920s, rather than a British or European make.

07-17-2016, 10:52 PM   #5
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ozwald Quote
Old Banger

A lovely piece of history Wally. Well spotted and captured mate.
07-17-2016, 10:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Often cars came into Australia as a running chassis the body would be built locally.

In this case, I'd say Rob is right and that it's a 1927 Chrysler like this one:

07-18-2016, 12:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I forgot to mention Chevrolet as not being likely, too, again because of the shape of the radiator grille. The general body shape, as well as the headlight bezels, makes it look like an American car of the 1920s, rather than a British or European make.
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
A lovely piece of history Wally. Well spotted and captured mate.
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Often cars came into Australia as a running chassis the body would be built locally.

In this case, I'd say Rob is right and that it's a 1927 Chrysler like this one:
I think the problem is solved gentlemen - it's a Chrysler. Ron's evidence provided in the photo of a 1927 model is conclusive - the radiator, headlight assembly, mudguard pressings and bumper are exactly the same as those in my photo. Thank you all for your input!

07-18-2016, 12:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Put your money on the fridge.