Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
DC Architecture
Posted By: Sailor, 07-20-2008, 10:11 AM

One of the things I enjoy - but rarely find myself doing - is shooting architectural details. Here are some I grabbed on the fly in Washington DC a few weeks ago.

Jer

Column on Treasury Building (they can afford it from what they nicked from me this year):

Union Station:

A building (that I didn't identify) in the evening sun:

A shot in Reagan National Airport:

A (large) detail from the National Air and Space Museum:

Views: 1,716
07-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Hey Jer.. thanks for sharin these..

I like them all but #2 is a great shot IMO.

Kim
07-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been to DC a couple times and there is definitely a LOT of cool architecture. Nice work on these photos.
07-20-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice series Jer you have an eye for detail. I love the orientation on #1. #3 and #4 are good as well.

07-20-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Jer, nice shots.

BTW, the building you couldn't identify is my summer home.
07-20-2008, 07:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

nice shots

just one more thing to remind me why i was so peeved the camera )died on THAT trip.

granted, i live/work in NYC, but the scenes in DC just beckon more. I dunno....I am odd like that

FYI, if you are going soon (anyone) do make time to see the WW2 Memorial. I wish I knew why that got done after the Viet Nam Wall, but, it was very well done, and moving. All the more to me as I had recently watched some documentarys focusing on the Pacific theater, so the battle names all were fresh in my mind.
07-21-2008, 05:27 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Very nice, you've got an eye for architecture. That last shot is great, I'd be tempted to try and clone out that ?rocket? under the wing.

On an off note - I'm taking my two grown sons for sailing lessons later this month (something I've always wanted to learn). Any tips? Other than, don't buy a boat! My wife already gave me that tip/instruction...

07-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Very nice. I like shooting architectural fragments/details also. Second shot is really good; might also be nice in B&W,
07-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote
Hey Jer.. thanks for sharin these..

I like them all but #2 is a great shot IMO.

Kim
Thanks, Kim, for the kind comment. I used the lazy approach to HDR on #2 by adjusting the original RAW image into three different "exposures" (-2, +2 and as shot) and converting each to a JPEG. These I melded using the HDR tool in PSPX2. Kinda fun - and seems to work.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I have been to DC a couple times and there is definitely a LOT of cool architecture. Nice work on these photos.
Thanks, Dave.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice series Jer you have an eye for detail. I love the orientation on #1. #3 and #4 are good as well.
You're a scholar and a gentleman, Dave. I appreciate it.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Jer, nice shots.

BTW, the building you couldn't identify is my summer home.
Hey - lucky you, especially since there's a nice little bar just a couple of blocks away.

Jer
07-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
nice shots

just one more thing to remind me why i was so peeved the camera )died on THAT trip.

granted, i live/work in NYC, but the scenes in DC just beckon more. I dunno....I am odd like that

FYI, if you are going soon (anyone) do make time to see the WW2 Memorial. I wish I knew why that got done after the Viet Nam Wall, but, it was very well done, and moving. All the more to me as I had recently watched some documentarys focusing on the Pacific theater, so the battle names all were fresh in my mind.
Thanks, and - yes - the WWII memorial is special, particularly for me since my Dad fought in the European theater.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Very nice, you've got an eye for architecture. That last shot is great, I'd be tempted to try and clone out that ?rocket? under the wing.

On an off note - I'm taking my two grown sons for sailing lessons later this month (something I've always wanted to learn). Any tips? Other than, don't buy a boat! My wife already gave me that tip/instruction...
Hey, Scott - I appreciate your comments.

Some tips on learning to sail:

1) Remember - it's not mystical . . . it's just physics combined with cold beer.

2) Don't be confused by all the Bo Ho nautical language, which is just jargon to obscure the physics to make you think sailing is mystical. Later on, that jargon is useful, but up front just learn to go with the wind (sails out), up wind (sails all the way in) and across the wind (sails half way in between).

3) Also remember: 1000 USD = 1 Boat Buck.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
Very nice. I like shooting architectural fragments/details also. Second shot is really good; might also be nice in B&W,
Thanks, Peter. I'll try it in B&W.

Jer
07-22-2008, 05:59 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
1000 USD = 1 Boat Buck.

LOL! Oh man...true of many hobbies.