Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
More dragboats
Posted By: awjweb, 02-13-2007, 11:23 AM

This is a continuation of my previous post Here. Since I am hosting the images myself I see no harm in posting some more of the set. These are from the same race ( 2006 SLDBA Creve Coeur Classic Dragboat championship in St. Louis MO). As noted previously these boats can run a quarter in under 5 seconds and acheive speeds over 250mph.

The Starting Line. The boats race in pairs as the other boats in the racing class hold on to a rope in order to keep from drifting.

Thumbs Up from the pilot. They call them pilots rather than drivers. Perhaps because the cockpit is an actual cockpit form a military aircraft. It is designed to remain intact and free of water in case of a crash. The pilots also wear an oxygen mask because of the toxic fumes and in case of a crash.

Looks like a wasp ready to sting. Note the metal bar extending from the top of the cockpit over the engine. This prevents the rope at the starting line from snagging the boat as it takes off. This boat is in the Top Alcohol Hydro class. I believe he is being towed to the starting line. TAH and Top Fuel Hydro (Nitro Methane fuel) don't normally even start the engine until on the starting line seconds before their race due to the high possibility of engine failure. Lesser classes idle the boat to the starting line under their own power.

This shot gives a nice perspective of things. That sure is a lucky event photographer sitting on the dock. I would love to see what kind of shots I could get from that vantage point. He is sitting in a pretty dangerous spot near the starting line. The boats often lose control at this point in the race as they are trying to achieve hydroplane. Once hydroplane is achieved the rooster tails become flatter but are *very* long.

This shot is not the best composition but has the best motion blur of all the shots I took. This one was taken at 1/350 sec. Most of the others were 1/500. I had to pan very quickly to get the shots as the boats screamed by I was afraid to use less than 1/500. Now I know better and I can't wait until next year!!!

Views: 6,835
02-13-2007, 11:35 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
These are great shots! Very exciting shots.
02-13-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks! great shots and great commentary. Sounds exciting! I've been present at a couple of world sail speed events, but Woe! no camera. Those were fun but I bet the drag races are a blast. BTW are the boats jet powered or screw powered?

NaCl(if it's boats and water, I'm interested)H2O
02-13-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Thanks! great shots and great commentary. Sounds exciting! I've been present at a couple of world sail speed events, but Woe! no camera. Those were fun but I bet the drag races are a blast. BTW are the boats jet powered or screw powered?

NaCl(if it's boats and water, I'm interested)H2O
Every boat I have seen has either one or two *extremely* pitched props. I don't know boat jargon but I think that you know what I mean.

From the web:

"The Top Fuel Hydros (TFH) are the quickest and fastest of the Drag Boat Family. TFH are the equivalent of the Top Fuel Dragsters racing on asphalt. Nitro burning TFH Engines produce 7,000 HP. TFH can cover the quarter mile in 4.6 seconds at speeds exceeding 255 MPH. Half Track (1/8 mile) ET’s of 2.8 seconds and speeds over 200 MPH within 600 feet. Most TFH weigh close to 4,000 pounds and use two propellers to apply the 7,000 HP to the water."

Last edited by awjweb; 02-13-2007 at 12:55 PM.
02-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
Forum Member

the last picture stands out the most... very nice!
02-13-2007, 07:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the reply, I was moderately certain they had to be screw driven, but I wasn't sure.

NaCl(7k horses! that's a lot of power! and they weigh two tons!)H2O
02-14-2007, 07:24 AM   #7
Inactive Account

nice shots. wich lenses you used ?

02-14-2007, 03:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent all round...the last is also my favorite.
02-14-2007, 06:08 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I liked a photo - 3, in all others " a lot of superfluous " gets in a photo and breaks a composition... If the optics "did not allow" to adjust " space of a photo " then it is better "to cut"...

The best regards!

"Erased a hieroglyph"