Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dying Bees
Lens: K 55 f2 Camera: K10D Photo Location: Norcross, GA ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/50s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: ChristianRock, 07-21-2016, 08:46 AM

I found a bush in the building next to my work with lots of bees that looked like they were just hanging there... some were flying, some were moving slowly, some were not moving at all. Then I looked up online, and apparently that's how they die, it's very common since they only live a few weeks.

Views: 715
07-21-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Nice shot, those K55's really provide a lot bang for the buck.
07-21-2016, 09:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Nice shot, those K55's really provide a lot bang for the buck.
Thank you! Not bad considering the 24 dollars I paid for it at KEH a couple years ago...

I am using a 52-37mm step down ring as a "hood" (since the front element is recessed already, it works very well).
07-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
52-37mm step down ring as a "hood"

That's a neat idea--I'm running a Nikon HN-3 hood on my K55/1.8 that seems to work pretty well, but it doesn't help maintain the compactness of the lens. At any rate, I'm not sure that it's good that KEH is practically a same-day-delivery joint for us both...

07-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some will die this way, just kind of shut down while doing their job.

If you find some tucked into flowers or under leaves, though, they could easily be males. The girls get to go back to the nest, but the boys have to sleep outdoors. Kneel down, look under leaves and sometimes you'll find them already tucked in for the night. They're just waiting for their chance. Earlier in the day you'll see them very active, chasing other males, and perched on high plants watching for the virgin queens to emerge.

Those ones could be males, I'll have to look at the full-rez images later.
07-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I touched the one at the bottom and it didn't move. Did that to some others, some moved slowly, none took flight. But there were a couple flying around.

I posted the full size on flickr (it's a K10D so only 10MP). It should be enough to tell the gender, I hope. I wouldn't know how to tell
07-21-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Poor bees

/salute
07-21-2016, 11:33 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They are both female worker Brown-belted Bumble Bees, Bombus griseocollis. I saw an apparent moribund bumbler the other day. A cool wind was blowing so it could have just been waiting for things to warm up before becoming active.

06-28-2018, 01:14 PM   #9
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I found a bush in the building next to my work with lots of bees that looked like they were just hanging there... some were flying, some were moving slowly, some were not moving at all. Then I looked up online, and apparently that's how they die, it's very common since they only live a few weeks.

Very nice shots! hard to get one in focus let alone two!
06-29-2018, 06:55 AM   #10
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

A special view .... don't see this sort of thing very often.
06-29-2018, 06:57 AM   #11
SJM
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice shot Christian