Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The best Outboard Motor in the World
Lens: HD-DA 35mm Macro Limited Camera: Pentax K30 Photo Location: Norway 
Posted By: Janse, 07-30-2016, 11:32 AM

No I don't think so. My families first outboard was of the brand Seagull made in England.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Views: 1,166
07-30-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I used one very similar for many years... replaced now with a 4Hp, long shaft Yamaha.
07-30-2016, 12:02 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I used one very similar for many years... replaced now with a 4Hp, long shaft Yamaha.
This seagull was pensioned in the midt sixties I think. No I use a 5Hp Yamaha.
07-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
I use a 5Hp Yamaha
They certainly make good motors.

07-30-2016, 04:50 PM   #5
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
The best Outboard Motor in the World

Putt...Putt...Putt...Putt...Putt...Putt...Putt... I can hear that little motor from all those years ago Janse.
Another very good photograph and memories from you my friend.
07-30-2016, 06:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I know about the Seagull, but I've never seen one . I use my trusty, old Evinrude 4 HP twin cylinder. I believe Ole Evinrude invented the outboard motor, because when his girlfriend wanted some ice cream, he rowed to shore to get some, then rowed back to the island where his girl was. Unfortunately the ice cream melted, due to his slow progress with the oars.

The idea then hit him....make a internal combustion motor that would propel a boat. It would be faster than rowing and in a similar situation, the ice cream would probably not melt as much. I believe there is an old adage that says invention is 90 % perspiration and 10 % inspiration. I don't know if it applies here.
07-30-2016, 09:57 PM   #7

We had similar Seagull in 50's. With no EFI, no electrical starter. But every time after pulling the cord it was running!

07-31-2016, 01:10 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Putt...Putt...Putt...Putt...Putt...Putt...Putt... I can hear that little motor from all those years ago Janse.
Another very good photograph and memories from you my friend.
Thank you so much pjv, glad you liked my post.

---------- Post added 07-31-16 at 01:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I know about the Seagull, but I've never seen one . I use my trusty, old Evinrude 4 HP twin cylinder. I believe Ole Evinrude invented the outboard motor, because when his girlfriend wanted some ice cream, he rowed to shore to get some, then rowed back to the island where his girl was. Unfortunately the ice cream melted, due to his slow progress with the oars.

The idea then hit him....make a internal combustion motor that would propel a boat. It would be faster than rowing and in a similar situation, the ice cream would probably not melt as much. I believe there is an old adage that says invention is 90 % perspiration and 10 % inspiration. I don't know if it applies here.
A very good story! And I think Ole came from Norway too. Thanks for commenting.

---------- Post added 07-31-16 at 01:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuP Quote
We had similar Seagull in 50's. With no EFI, no electrical starter. But every time after pulling the cord it was running!
Thank you for commenting.
07-31-2016, 06:44 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Janse, this is a very cool shot. Seagulls were often used for auxiliary power on small sailboats and for powering dinghy's used by owners of larger yachts. From all accounts, they were troublesome little devils, and the objects of scorn for many. I never owned one, but I did use a 1.5 HP Evinrude on my small day sailer, and once-in-a-while it actually worked.

Jer
07-31-2016, 07:28 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Janse, this is a very cool shot. Seagulls were often used for auxiliary power on small sailboats and for powering dinghy's used by owners of larger yachts. From all accounts, they were troublesome little devils, and the objects of scorn for many. I never owned one, but I did use a 1.5 HP Evinrude on my small day sailer, and once-in-a-while it actually worked.

Jer
Thank you Jer for commenting. My impression is also that they could be troublesome.