Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Mr. Mud Head - which compo?
Posted By: foxglove, 07-21-2008, 11:54 AM

Hey gang-

I haven't been around much lately, the wretched PhD thesis is taking up far too much mental energy and time. But last weekend I had a chance to photograph my cousin Lib (an artist) sculpting a bust of Stefen (my husband). He's a former artist, and convinced her to try a "sketch" rather than the 2.5 hour sittings - all 5 of them - that she normally has her subjects do. Yup, that's 12.5 hours of model sitting, plus the time she fiddles without the model present. These were taken near the end of the single slightly more than 3 hour sitting that Stefen did.

She was set up in an old barn at the cottage, with a large west-facing door on a rainy morning. Lovely soft light, but not much of it. SR to the rescue! I wanted to get Lib, the bust, and Stefen in one shot, but that one looks busy to me. The second one, of bust and model, for various reasons, appeals to me. What do you folks think? Which do you prefer? And why?

These are very quick conversions from raw, variously cropped, resized and sharpened, so they could probably be better pped if I had time.

Here's just the bust, "gazing" out the door, just because I like the light.

Julie

Last edited by foxglove; 07-23-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Views: 2,366
07-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
seem to be problems...

Okay... no responses after 24 hours. Is it the title - does "Mr. Mud Head" put people off? Are the photos not showing? Pbase seems to be having a little fit...

Anyway, here's my shameless bump, I hope the pictures show and someone has an opinion on them!

Julie
07-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I like the first shot, Stephen and the bust do look alike! They have that same knowing smile on their faces

I like the surroundings and how well the red shirt suites in it!
07-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #4

I like the all -- but the 2nd one is the one that causes me to consider the work of the artist and to know that she is capturing her subject. She does very good work.

07-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
Igilligan

Questionable title? I think not

QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
Okay... no responses after 24 hours. Is it the title - does "Mr. Mud Head" put people off? Are the photos not showing? Pbase seems to be having a little fit...

Anyway, here's my shameless bump, I hope the pictures show and someone has an opinion on them!

Julie
Ha ha... I actually like the title and that is what drew me in... But you may have got more hits if you had titled it "I kissed my hot cousin and I liked it"

I really like the first best, because it has the artist working with hands on... and nice colors...

But the second with the shallow DOF between subject and sculpture is also good

Last edited by Igilligan; 07-23-2008 at 03:48 PM.
07-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
Damn Brit

I prefer the first shot, it shows where the artist works. It has a magazine photo look about it.

Gary
07-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Not so much a critique for the photos as I am in no way qualified to judge....

but WOW.... what an amazing talent that sculpter has. The time put in is simply amazing.

Being someone who has ZERO artistic ability I am simply amazed by those that have artistic skills.

When they talk about left and right brain people I know right off the bat I am a lefty....

D.

07-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback, folks!

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
I like the first shot, Stephen and the bust do look alike! They have that same knowing smile on their faces
Hah, he'll like that, and so will Lib!

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I really like the first best, because it has the artist working with hands on... and nice colors...
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I prefer the first shot, it shows where the artist works. It has a magazine photo look about it.
Okay, two votes for showing the sculptor. As for "a magazine photo look about it", well, I blush! Thank-you.

QuoteOriginally posted by pastorbbc Quote
I like the all -- but the 2nd one is the one that causes me to consider the work of the artist and to know that she is capturing her subject. She does very good work.
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
But the second with the shallow DOF between subject and sculpture is also good
And two votes for the shallow dof treatment. The second is Stefen's preference, but then that sort of thing was also his suggestion, so he's biased, which is why I'm interested in other opinions. I really like the dof. I was trying to get the same composition but with Lib's hands in the frame, but they were both getting tired, and I would have had to be nearly sitting in her lap to get the shot!

QuoteOriginally posted by Gadget_Guy Quote
WOW.... what an amazing talent that sculpter has. The time put in is simply amazing..
I'll pass along this and the other compliments. I've yet to see her more polished works; she recruited a number of relatives to sit, and has one at about the 10-hour mark that I'd like to see. And photograph!

Thanks for the input, I'm hoping Lib (and whoever her "victim" is) won't mind if I take some more shots the next time I'm there. I will definitely try to get the shallow dof with Lib's hands, somehow. I don't take a lot of people pictures, but this is an interesting subject, plus they're absorbed in what they're doing, so nobody starts mugging for the camera!

Julie