Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
És cá um melro
Posted By: Nuno Almeida, 08-01-2016, 06:32 PM

Taken with a Prinzflex 80-200 with my k50, not the sharpest or more in focus pic I have, but I like it. No idea the name of that bird in English, very common around here though.

Last edited by Nuno Almeida; 04-27-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Views: 679
08-01-2016, 07:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice composition and exposure though. Was there a problem with the lens and did you use a tripod? Sometimes even a slight breeze will cause this type of blurriness.

Great effort and thanks for sharing.

Antonio
08-01-2016, 11:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Nice composition and exposure though. Was there a problem with the lens and did you use a tripod? Sometimes even a slight breeze will cause this type of blurriness.

Great effort and thanks for sharing.

Antonio
It's a very very big (small) crop, the shutter speed was also a bit slow for the lens, but most of the lack of detail comes from the crop and my focus
08-01-2016, 11:23 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Birds need faster than 1/125s to keep their movements from blurring your photo. With that lens you're using, shutter speed should have been 1.5x 200mm = at least 1/300s but I can tell you even that isn't fast enough to stop bird movements. 1/500s is the slowest I use on my bird shots. Birds move whether you see the movement or not. Next time try a faster shutter speed.

08-01-2016, 11:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuno Almeida Quote
It's a very very big (small) crop, the shutter speed was also a bit slow for the lens, but most of the lack of detail comes from the crop and my focus
I see what you are saying. I was just looking at your photo again and noticed the green border on the branch above the subject's head. Unfortunately this happens with telephoto lenses. The only way to correct it is PPE. Another way would be to invest in an upgrade. All in all, I like the photo and look forward to more of your work.

Antonio
08-01-2016, 11:26 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Unfortunately this happens with telephoto lenses.
Not all Telephoto lenses do this. Mostly it's from high contrasty areas that cause the fringing.
08-01-2016, 11:50 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Birds need faster than 1/125s to keep their movements from blurring your photo. With that lens you're using, shutter speed should have been 1.5x 200mm = at least 1/300s but I can tell you even that isn't fast enough to stop bird movements. 1/500s is the slowest I use on my bird shots. Birds move whether you see the movement or not. Next time try a faster shutter speed.
Oh I know, I don't usually shoot birds, but I do sometimes, and have a few nicely tuned images, I just happen to like that image

---------- Post added 08-02-16 at 07:53 AM ----------

I see what you are saying. I was just looking at your photo again and noticed the green border on the branch above the subject's head. Unfortunately this happens with telephoto lenses. The only way to correct it is PPE. Another way would be to invest in an upgrade. All in all, I like the photo and look forward to more of your work.

Antonio
My K1 arrives this week, the Tamron 70-200 2.8 I have at a few months, I just like to play with these old lenses, the day I took that picture, my main objective was improving my manual focus skill.

08-02-2016, 01:06 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh I know, I don't usually shoot birds, but I do sometimes, and have a few nicely tuned images, I just happen to like that image

---------- Post added 08-02-16 at 07:53 AM ----------

My K1 arrives this week, the Tamron 70-200 2.8 I have at a few months, I just like to play with these old lenses, the day I took that picture, my main objective was improving my manual focus skill.
Looking at the photo even more, I do notice quite a bit more fringing. Well, the k-1 and the Tamron lens should help solve that issue. I don't mind saying, I am jealous. I hope to get my k-1 very soon.

Rgds,

Antonio
08-02-2016, 01:20 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No idea the name of that bird in English, very common around here though.
Quite common here also. Blackbird. This one may be the father or mother of the juvenile in the following image.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-02-2016, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

No idea the name of that bird in English
The common blackbird (Turdus merula) is a species of true thrush. It is also called Eurasian blackbird.
Not related to New world "Blackbirds" which are in the family Icteridae.

Last edited by wildman; 08-02-2016 at 05:41 AM.
08-02-2016, 06:05 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
The common blackbird (Turdus merula) is a species of true thrush. It is also called Eurasian blackbird.
Not related to New world "Blackbirds" which are in the family Icteridae.
Thank you, can see where the name in my language "melro", comes from