Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
IF you hang around long enough
Lens: DA*200 ƒ2.4 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: My back yard ISO: 125 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: normhead, 08-02-2016, 08:47 AM

K-3 and DA*200 ƒ2.8

Mostly ƒ8
Around 1/500s
Mostly ISO 125.

If you hang around the garden long enough (because you just got a new hip and you'e only supposed to walk 1000 steps a day,)

Sooner or later an insect will come and land right on the flower you're about to take a picture of. NO stalking, nothing, just stand there , pictures, like magic.

Then when they leave you can just go back to the flowers....

Views: 789
08-02-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Sooner or later an insect will come and land right on the flower you're about to take a picture of
Fine shots from yourself as always.

I think you got a trained beasty there or did you superglue the flower, cos they're never that cooperative for me.
08-02-2016, 09:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Fine shots from yourself as always.

I think you got a trained beasty there or did you superglue the flower, cos they're never that cooperative for me.
I honestly don't know what was with that guy, he loved those flowers. I just stood there on with my cane using the monopod as a second brace. He was determines to feed from these flowers. I took over 200 images of him. These were the keepers. He even left once, and came back a few minutes later. It just seems to be his spot for the moment. I couldn't have chased him if I wanted to, so he brought the show to me. How weird is that?
08-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Nice photos Norm. Glad to see the surgery went fine and you're back to doing your photography.
I believe what you have there is a Great Spangled Fritillary

Btw, if you're slow and don't move much, they are like dragonflies, they'll come back to the flowers. We have the Gulf Fritillary here and they act the same on my Zinnias.

08-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice photos Norm. Yes, the gulf fritillary loves the zinnias here. You can stand still in front of the zinnias and they will light down right in front of you. I've had as many as 8 flying around me at once.
08-03-2016, 07:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Nice photos Norm. Glad to see the surgery went fine and you're back to doing your photography.
I believe what you have there is a Great Spangled Fritillary

Btw, if you're slow and don't move much, they are like dragonflies, they'll come back to the flowers. We have the Gulf Fritillary here and they act the same on my Zinnias.
Thanks for the I.D. I know very few insects.

QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Nice photos Norm. Yes, the gulf fritillary loves the zinnias here. You can stand still in front of the zinnias and they will light down right in front of you. I've had as many as 8 flying around me at once.
I've had 2 before. I don't think this is the best habitat for them.
08-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #7

Beautiful, the 200 DA* is a stunning lens and clearly it's in the right hands with you. Hopefully having such beauty to look at and photograph will help your recovery pass quicker. Hope you're soon back on your feet.

08-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There is nothing that helps recovery like a nice garden.
08-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonderful images Norm, it's amazing what one can find in the backyard when one has a little patience. Glad that your surgery went well, I'm on the waiting list for both hip and knee replacement (8 to 9 month) but at 84 I'm not complaining.
08-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Wonderful images Norm, it's amazing what one can find in the backyard when one has a little patience. Glad that your surgery went well, I'm on the waiting list for both hip and knee replacement (8 to 9 month) but at 84 I'm not complaining.
My advice given my experience would be take it easy before the replace meant. My theory was "they are going to replace it anyway so just go".. but, the last 2 months were very painful.... you have to prevent deterioration as much as possible. In the end i waited 8 months for mine. At this point it's all about the rehab....which is very painful. You sacrifice 3 months of excruciating recovery for hopefully another 15 years pain free. But you have today up "up front". It's taken me two weeks to get off pain killers. And I still feel a lot of pain, but I went 12 hours today and yesterday without pain, an I managed to sleep without pain last night. First time is more than year. It doesn't take long for it to start paying off. Good luck, let us know when you are going in.
08-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My advice given my experience would be take it easy before the replace meant. My theory was "they are going to replace it anyway so just go".. but, the last 2 months were very painful.... you have to prevent deterioration as much as possible. In the end i waited 8 months for mine. At this point it's all about the rehab....which is very painful. You sacrifice 3 months of excruciating recovery for hopefully another 15 years pain free. But you have today up "up front". It's taken me two weeks to get off pain killers. And I still feel a lot of pain, but I went 12 hours today and yesterday without pain, an I managed to sleep without pain last night. First time is more than year. It doesn't take long for it to start paying off. Good luck, let us know when you are going in.
Thanks Norm and you are absolutely right. My better half had both hips replaced, last one about 15 month ago, now she is totally pain free and for all practical purposes can walk normally.