Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
8 Likes  #1
A 77 Year Old Camera Heads to the Mountains
Camera: Kodak Medalist I ISO: 50 
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 08-07-2016, 05:47 PM

Earlier today I shared some photos of my trip to Rocky Mountain National Park. I went there to test out a new, to me, camera, a Kodak Medalist I. Well, now I have the rolls developed and scanned in so here they are.

I wish there was a way to display these images like they are displayed on my calibrated screen, large and full of tones, the down res image displayed on the internet color palate doesn't let you see the full qualities of these images.

Anyway, saying that, here they are.

These were shot on a 77 year old Kodak Medalist I that I received a couple of days ago. These are my first rolls and my first shots taken with this old camera, so I really didn't know what to expect. The first images were shot with trough a minus blue filter on Neopan Acros 100 film rated at 50 ISO and developed in Rodinal at 50:1 for 9 minutes. After they dried, I scanned them in using an Epson V750 pro.

These next few were taken between 11,500 ft and 12,000 ft altitude. It was raining on and off, but it made for some good photo taking.

These last images were using the same film and shot through the same filter, but I used Pyrocat MC at 1:1:100 to develop them. The negatives were a little thick at 15 minutes development time, so next time I'm going to develop for 12 minutes.

Thats it for now. I have a few other photos (I shot 3 rolls, so 24 exposures total), but they weren't as interesting, or were doubles of these.

Next weekend I am going to take this camera, along with my 4x5 large format camera and my D600 to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park for some more photography and camping.
Views: 859
08-07-2016, 05:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Earlier today I shared some photos of my trip to Rocky Mountain National Park. I went there to test out a new, to me, camera, a Kodak Medalist I. Well, now I have the rolls developed and scanned in so here they are.

I wish there was a way to display these images like they are displayed on my calibrated screen, large and full of tones, the down res image displayed on the internet color palate doesn't let you see the full qualities of these images.

Anyway, saying that, here they are.

These were shot on a 77 year old Kodak Medalist I that I received a couple of days ago. These are my first rolls and my first shots taken with this old camera, so I really didn't know what to expect. The first images were shot with trough a minus blue filter on Neopan Acros 100 film rated at 50 ISO and developed in Rodinal at 50:1 for 9 minutes. After they dried, I scanned them in using an Epson V750 pro.

These next few were taken between 11,500 ft and 12,000 ft altitude. It was raining on and off, but it made for some good photo taking.

These last images were using the same film and shot through the same filter, but I used Pyrocat MC at 1:1:100 to develop them. The negatives were a little thick at 15 minutes development time, so next time I'm going to develop for 12 minutes.

Thats it for now. I have a few other photos (I shot 3 rolls, so 24 exposures total), but they weren't as interesting, or were doubles of these.

Next weekend I am going to take this camera, along with my 4x5 large format camera and my D600 to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park for some more photography and camping.
Well done. How did you manage to use 120 film on the 620 Medalist. Kodak never made any cameras of note, bar two exceptions. The Medalist and the earlier Retina/Retinette series.
08-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I bought some 620 spools on Ebay and simply re rolled the 120 film on 620 spools in my film changing tent. It is pretty quick, roughly 2 minutes per roll.

BUT, if you don't want to re spool your own, you can buy re spooled 620 film here: 620 Film | Film Photography Project
08-08-2016, 04:53 AM   #4
Forum Member

Well done.

08-08-2016, 05:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very Nice. Thanks for sharing.