Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
First K-1 photos from a hiking trip
Posted By: Phil Hirst, 08-15-2016, 02:52 AM

I took the K-1 on a four-day hiking trip and was delighted with its portability, weather resistance, Shake Reduction and low light capabililty.

Views: 1,394
08-15-2016, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's some really dramatic scenery. Great series!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-15-2016, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

As I scrolled though I was thinking Tasmania ...... and it is

The K-1 has shown it ability to capture the essence of Tasmania as a destination to visit. I can't wait for the Craddle Mountain shots.

---------- Post added 08-15-16 at 08:47 PM ----------

just out of interest, were you using a hood? It looks like you might not have (i.e. contrast/ colour seem a touch underdone) - If I am wrong then I apologise in advance.
08-15-2016, 03:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Were those processed or out of camera?

08-15-2016, 05:14 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
As I scrolled though I was thinking Tasmania ...... and it is

The K-1 has shown it ability to capture the essence of Tasmania as a destination to visit. I can't wait for the Craddle Mountain shots.

---------- Post added 08-15-16 at 08:47 PM ----------

just out of interest, were you using a hood? It looks like you might not have (i.e. contrast/ colour seem a touch underdone) - If I am wrong then I apologise in advance.
Quite right, I didn't use a hood for many of these shots. Something I will have to watch in future.

---------- Post added 08-15-16 at 05:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Maksim Quote
Were those processed or out of camera?
All of these were processed to a certain extent.
08-15-2016, 05:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil Hirst Quote
Quite right, I didn't use a hood for many of these shots. Something I will have to watch in future.
Ah. I am getting used to the idea of hood use, especially for legacy lenses where coatings are less effective than the modern ones.

Also, you might benefit from the use of a CPL when shooting in coastal areas (lots of scattered blue light). It is amazing what a CPL can do.
08-15-2016, 06:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

four-day hiking trip

Very impressive! I'm always curious about people's "backcountry" kits, so anything you have to say about your load-out would be very interesting to me.

08-15-2016, 06:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Iconically Tasmanian. Images 6, 7 and 9 stand out for me.

An appropriately shaped hood is hugely valuable to any lens. My F28/2.8 and FA20/2.8 were massively improved with the cheap third party (Sensei) petal hoods I got for them. Everything lens I own has a hood specifically matched to it.
08-16-2016, 05:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Very impressive! I'm always curious about people's "backcountry" kits, so anything you have to say about your load-out would be very interesting to me.
What I carried on this trip was my Samyang 24mm f1.4, an old Tokina 70-210mm zoom(light and acceptable image quality) a tripod with ball head, a circular polarising filter and a 10 stop neutral density filter. Another essential accessory for mid-winter down here in the Roaring Forties, especially at night, are chemical hand warmers that I hold on my lenses with a piece of cut-off sock to prevent fogging. On shorter trips where I don't have to carry so much other gear, I would also take either a Pentax A 50mm or 50mm Macro, great for fungi in rain forests etc. I hope this was useful in some way
08-16-2016, 05:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

especially at night, are chemical hand warmers that I hold on my lenses with a piece of cut-off sock to prevent fogging

That's a great tip that I've not seen mentioned anywhere--if you ever take just a "phone shot" of that set-up, I'm sure a lot folks would find it useful. For myself, I've been wondering how I would finesse moisture issues here in the Smoky Mountains--I've been soaked to the bone more than once just rolling through these hollers before sunrise.
08-23-2016, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Some great shots here! Interesting to see work from the Three Capes start to trickle in...
08-23-2016, 06:46 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
That's a great tip that I've not seen mentioned anywhere--if you ever take just a "phone shot" of that set-up, I'm sure a lot folks would find it useful. For myself, I've been wondering how I would finesse moisture issues here in the Smoky Mountains--I've been soaked to the bone more than once just rolling through these hollers before sunrise.
I will take some shots of that soon
08-24-2016, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #13

Tasman Id from the Blade!! Was there quite a few years back with Kodachrome64 in an MZ-5. Some of the most dramatic coastal scenery I have visited. Now a fortunate K1 owner as well, looking at what kit to lug around to destinations such as this.

Nice work.