Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
TUTORIAL: Posting photos from Flickr/PBase
Posted By: foxglove, 02-13-2007, 06:19 PM

Flickr:

Hello,

a user asked me if could give him a guide for posting images from flickr and i decided to create this tutorial instead, so that it can remain as a future reference for anyone interessted.

Let's begin.. I'll assume that you already have the image uploaded to your flickr account

.. oh, the used browser was Firefox, if you are using IE the menus may differ a little.

1) Go to the "Post your photos!" Section

2) Click the Button "New Thread"

3) Go to you flickr account and go to the page of the image you wish to post here on the forum, then click on the "All Sizes" button

4) Click on the "Medium" link

5) Right-Click on the medium size image, and click "Copy Image Location"

6) Now let's get back to the "Post New Thread" on PentaxForums,

Left-Click on the "Insert Image" Button

and the folowing popup will appear:

now Paste the image location which you previously Copyed,
you can Right-Click and Paste, or just use CTRL+V

At this point if you press the submit button, the medium sized image will be displayed on the post, i use the medium sized image to use as thumbnails, next i'll show you how to create a link, so that when someone click the medium image will be forwarded to the large size one.

If you do not wich to create thumbnails, on step 4) go directly to the large size image instead of the medium size, and your done.

Creating a link from the medium size image on PentaxForums to the Large Size on flickr:

7) Repeat step 4) and 5) but instead of going to the medium size, go to the large size image.

8) On the "Post new Thread" page, select all the image location, including the [IMG] tags, and the press the "Insert Link" button.

9) A popup will appear, Paste the URL of the large size image (which you already copied on step 7) using CTRL+V and then click OK.

If everything went OK, you should have the medium size image displayed on the post, and if you click the image you will be forwarded to the large size image.

Just repeat this steps to every image you want to post.

I Hope this helps someone, any doubt just drop me a PM or post here.

-by Barbosas

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PBase:

Many using pbase have run into problems posting here, with images showing up sporadically, or not at all. The solution is very simple: make sure the url you use has nothing between "www" and "pbase", other than the necessary dot, of course. I don't know how it works in other browsers or operating systems, but I right-click on the image and select "Copy Link Location" (Firefox, Windows XP). All you have to do is make sure the image url ends with the image extension...Easy, huh?

example:
http://www.idontknowifpbaseislikethis.com/image.jpg

-by foxglove
Views: 56,229
01-08-2009, 09:43 AM   #31
Forum Member

woohoo! thanks for the tutorial!

01-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I can't do it, step 5 doesn't work for me, I don't have the option of copy location
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I am experiencing the same difficulty as Axl. I dont have the option "Copy to Location."
Are you guys using Microsoft Internet Explorer ? In that case Right Click on the Image and click Properties and copy the 'Address (URL)'

'Copy Location' option appears in Firefox Browser

Cheers
Nish
01-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #33
Site Supporter

This would make a nice Sticky... Done!

Thanks for the posting!

Regards,
Marc
01-15-2009, 04:18 AM   #34

Hi
Thanks for the info on Flickhttp://farm4.static.flickr. Thought I would give it a test.Thanks again.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3419/3199063862_46b7e388e8_b.jpg

01-26-2009, 03:06 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by slomojoe Quote
Well, that's odd. When I go to pbase and do "Copy image location" on that pic, I get the url http://i.pbase.com/g6/20/754320/2/77984292.IgEXd7iR.jpg.
On the other hand, the url you give seems to be working exactly the same. Bizarre.

EDIT: And now I have updated the url's in the original thread to the www format, and it seems to work just fine. I guess that may be part of the problem, at least in some cases.
Both ways work. When you use the i.pbase prefix I've found that some browsers behind corporate firewalls might not be able to display the image. On the other hand if you use the www.pbase prefix your image may not display at the original size. I always use the former because I don't care for the resized diplay.

JayT
01-30-2009, 05:11 PM   #36

Yay, it worked..

-Isaac
01-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #37

Smaller image test

Yay, this worked too!

Thanks for the great tutorial!

-Isaac
03-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #38
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sirfishalot Quote
Both ways work. When you use the i.pbase prefix I've found that some browsers behind corporate firewalls might not be able to display the image. On the other hand if you use the www.pbase prefix your image may not display at the original size. I always use the former because I don't care for the resized diplay.

JayT
I size my images to 800p wide before I upload them to pbase. I click "edit image" in the pbase viewer, copy the complete URL on teh right of the image edit page and paste it into the PentaxForums image linking dialog (by clicking the mountain icon).

Here's the obnixious but critical part: pbase only sends the medium sized image. I highlight and replace the word "medium", while still in the dialog box, with the word "original" and the 800p-wide image is linked.

04-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I did exactly with all the steps mentioned here, but can not figure out why the EXIF is missing after posted, the EXIF were intact when viewing from flickr. Any advice would greatly appreciated.

Example

Thanks
David
04-19-2009, 04:58 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
I did exactly with all the steps mentioned here, but can not figure out why the EXIF is missing after posted, the EXIF were intact when viewing from flickr. Any advice would greatly appreciated.
Because in the instructions, it tells you to use the 'medium' sized photo. Other than the original jpg, the smaller sized jpgs do not have EXIF. It would have been nice if flickr keeps exif instact for the smaller images.

For example:

Medium image (no exif)

Original image (EXIF intact)
04-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xhanatos Quote
Because in the instructions, it tells you to use the 'medium' sized photo. Other than the original jpg, the smaller sized jpgs do not have EXIF. It would have been nice if flickr keeps exif instact for the smaller images.
Xhanatos, I never thought the problem were the size of the image, Thanks much for your help.

Test Large size

/

David

Edit, The above large size still missing EXIF, I think it has to be the original size which I don't have in flickr.

Last edited by IS050; 08-28-2009 at 09:40 PM.
04-21-2009, 12:28 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Hrm.. there goes my theory.

Can i have the Flickr link of that image? Btw, it's a nice shot.
04-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xhanatos Quote
Hrm.. there goes my theory.

Can i have the Flickr link of that image? Btw, it's a nice shot.
Hi Xhanatos, sorry for the late reply, here is the flick link
IMGP4947 W on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
And thanks for your comments.

Regards,
David
07-01-2009, 05:15 AM   #44

test large

07-07-2009, 06:31 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Adding a link to the Flickr page

For two reasons images should link back to the flickr page they are hosted on:
  1. Viewers can go to your flickr page and leave comments and/or view other image sizes.
  2. Flickr requires you to do so.
Here's how to do it:

EDIT: The following refers to the old Flickr pages. PhilippeG has done a nice job of explaining the how-to with the current Flickr pages.

Assuming your image is at
HTML Code:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/class_a/3566563548/
Select the size you want, e.g., medium. The page offers you a box called "Grab the photo's URL:" which in this case is
HTML Code:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3635/3566563548_fdffd12f25.jpg
The latter goes into the image tags:
Code:
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3635/3566563548_fdffd12f25.jpg[/img]
Then you simply surround this with "url" tags, using the address of the original flickr page above:
Code:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/class_a/3566563548/]
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3635/3566563548_fdffd12f25.jpg[/img]
[/url]
Below is the clickable image, using the code shown above:

Last edited by Class A; 08-15-2010 at 03:54 PM.