Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Minis (cooper) on Top 2008 - Mt. Washington New Hampshire
Posted By: bigben91682, 07-22-2008, 01:30 PM

An annual gathering of Mini Coopers to climb the famous auto road at Mount Washington, NH.

Highest point in the eastern united states, and highest recorded wind speed at 231 mph!

Over 200 minis climbed to the top, where we were greeted by magnificant views of dense fog!

The whole gallery

3. The gaudy lambo doors

4. The only original at this event.

5. Ready to Rally

6. On the Road

7. In the rearview

8. Covered Bridge

9. High speed sun roof photography

10. Arriving at Mt Washington

11. Clear as a bell on the summit

12. More summit

13. My wife and I on top of the (eastern seaboard) world

14. Gotta love those weather sealed bodies and lenses.

15. Heading down in the dark

Views: 1,645
07-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
Inactive Account

i'm always amazed how great shots like this go fastly in third page and boring stuff keep high in the page. maybe it's my fault.
anyway great jobs. i like this kind of photography and would have liked to cover this event!!
07-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love #9. It really captures the feel of motion while still having a sense of "place".

Clearly the weather sealing is a good thing.
07-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That looks like a blast! Great shooting! I love Minis so this is right up my alley. I'm partial to #'s 5, 8, and 10 but they're all great shots.

07-22-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice photos, too bad about the fog but such is life I guess. This road looks a LOT different than the one that I drove up in 1959. :-) If all goes well I'll do it again this fall.

Take care,
07-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

some excellent shots there! I love the high speed sunroof shot.

Heinrich - I'm planning up to Mt. Washington this fall as well... have some vacation time and I swore last year I wouldn't let it go to waste again...
07-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing the rallyee and pictures. One good thing about the precipitation -- your final posted shot.

07-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
some excellent shots there! I love the high speed sunroof shot.

Heinrich - I'm planning up to Mt. Washington this fall as well... have some vacation time and I swore last year I wouldn't let it go to waste again...
Always love automotive photography, and you've really come up with some nice shots here. The sunroof one is great - can you share exif data / and or technique? but I also liked the rearview mirror shot too!

Rob
07-22-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the feedback. The Mt. Washington drive was awesome even in the fog, well worth it. I can imagine what it's like on a clear day, must be spectacular.

SouthShoreRob: The sunroof shot was 1/15 sec at f/11 ISO 200. I slowed the shutter down to get the motion blur. The one I posted is the only keeper of about 20 shots, the rest the car was also blurry. I was driving about 60 mph on a back road, holding the wheel with my left hand and holding the K20D & 16-45 out of the sunroof with the other, so needless to say it was tricky to hold steady. This wasn't on the drive up the mountain, but the rally to the mountain.
07-23-2008, 05:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Well Ben, I think your wife takes the cake for having the best looks in your post.

I owned a Mini Minor and an FIAT X1/9 and to this day I can't decide which I loved and miss the most.
07-23-2008, 07:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

cool series Ben - love the blurred look from inside. That is enough mini's to call it a maxi event - well done.
07-23-2008, 07:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

guys, seriously, you gotta stop making me want a Mini S more than anything. It was #1 on my list but then I finally convinced myself it wasn't the right practical choice for me right now, and I'm looking to purchase around October.

STOP TOYING WITH MY EMOTIONS!!

(Sweet cars. awesome pics)
07-23-2008, 07:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

nice series! A good variety of shots capturing different aspects of the event. The summit of Mt Washington is often fogged in, even when the valleys are clear, so your experience is not unusual. Must have been a blast with all the minis there! They are fun cars, my buddy had one for a while.

I've never been up the auto road but I climbed Mt Washington several times by foot in my younger days. I've got a bunch of slides from back then - I should dig them out and take a look!
07-23-2008, 01:25 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Morbo Quote
guys, seriously, you gotta stop making me want a Mini S more than anything. It was #1 on my list but then I finally convinced myself it wasn't the right practical choice for me right now, and I'm looking to purchase around October.

STOP TOYING WITH MY EMOTIONS!!

(Sweet cars. awesome pics)
I didn't think it would be all that practical, being so small. But since it's just my wife and I it's really the perfect car. We can fit enough luggage for a month long vacation in the back (with the seats down). It also gets 40 mpg (we have the non-S version) and handles like a go cart. And it actually handles winter weather very well. It is the most fun I have had driving a car in a long time, and way more pratical than I even imagined.

So just buy one.

And if you want to buy it in October, you should order it now....they are in high demand with the high fuel costs.