Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
2 more focus stacks one of a Gator lol
Lens: DA* 300mm F4 Camera: K5iis Photo Location: florida 
Posted By: dewolf, 08-21-2016, 06:22 PM

Got about 25-30 ft away from a gator this morning. took a few side shots then decided to get behind it and shoot multiple images for stacking. just a random thought. results weren't great but then it was hand held, i wasn't going to be very sneaky with a tripod lol. estimated size was 7-8 ft, likely close to 7

also a passion flower

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by dewolf; 08-21-2016 at 06:25 PM. Reason: wrong catagory
Views: 953
08-22-2016, 01:34 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nicely done! The gator shot looks fantastic with the stacking.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-22-2016, 06:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great job on both but especially the gator.
08-22-2016, 10:01 AM   #4
dewolf

Thanks mates. and thanks to the forum where I learned that. I can see where this is going to be useful . After 5 years of visiting the Rookery this was the first time I have seen anything but a baby gator was on the human side of the bank.
I have never seen the monster 12 ft one anywhere but on the island. trust me, I wont get anywhere near the big one if he comes by lol.

08-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great gator. Must learn this technique !

08-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #6
dewolf

I was surprised it worked so well on something that large, I had seen it done for Macro images, and they were amazing, someone also tried it with cars, so I was so impressed I decided to give it a go. It was actually quite simple.
Star at the edge of the subject and keep moving the focus inward ever so slightly depending on the complexity of the subject until you have a series of images that covers every point of the subject. Granted they advise you to use a tripod, but as I explained, I wasn't going to sneak up behind that gator with a 5.5ft tripod lol, but i tend to have a steady hand and knelt down bracing my elbow on my knee. Photoshop was able to align then without an issue. Not sure what to try it on next but i will find something that stays still long enough eventually. There is a tutorial inside this forum, it was a little complicated for me because I simply cant understand light-room, it annoyed me so bad I swore at it, then off it. I like PS Cs4 though.