Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Likes  
Red Fox ... ISO 6400 with K3 ...
Posted By: jpzk, 08-23-2016, 07:17 PM

With vey little NR in Topaz:
It looks much better in Flickr ... click on image once there to see large size.

Views: 1,839
08-02-2018, 10:04 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
What a cute expression!

08-18-2018, 10:02 PM   #17
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
incredible shot!@ really like the catch light! well done
10-24-2018, 11:54 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
incredible shot!@ really like the catch light! well done
Thanks !
10-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is really remarkable to get such a clean and good result from ISO 6400. I suspect the skill of the photographer has something to do with the camera punching above it's weight. Congratulations with getting this shot just right.

10-24-2018, 02:24 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
It is really remarkable to get such a clean and good result from ISO 6400. I suspect the skill of the photographer has something to do with the camera punching above it's weight. Congratulations with getting this shot just right.
Thanks for the comment, Fries!
10-24-2018, 04:14 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Beautiful picture...a wall hanger in my estimation. Wonderful bokeh, great expression on the face of the fox. The colours...red and green...go well together.

I've been using SLR's since 1968 and I recall back in the film days how the ASA (ISO) of yesterdays' film was limited to 25, 50, 100, 200, 400.....etc. I used Tri-X B+W film a lot back then...think it was 'fast' film at 400, which I sometimes pushed higher. But the grain (now called noise) back then was so extreme that you could trip over it.

Looking at your K3 at high ISO and nary a grain/noise to be seen...shows me how wonderful modern, digital technology has come from the old film days.

BTW, I still also use my film cameras...I like to use all mediums for photography.

Last edited by lesmore49; 10-24-2018 at 04:20 PM.
10-24-2018, 07:33 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Beautiful picture...a wall hanger in my estimation. Wonderful bokeh, great expression on the face of the fox. The colours...red and green...go well together.

I've been using SLR's since 1968 and I recall back in the film days how the ASA (ISO) of yesterdays' film was limited to 25, 50, 100, 200, 400.....etc. I used Tri-X B+W film a lot back then...think it was 'fast' film at 400, which I sometimes pushed higher. But the grain (now called noise) back then was so extreme that you could trip over it.

Looking at your K3 at high ISO and nary a grain/noise to be seen...shows me how wonderful modern, digital technology has come from the old film days.

BTW, I still also use my film cameras...I like to use all mediums for photography.
Thanks Les.
I have been shooting quite a bit at high ISO with the K3 and whilst it, "most of the time", shows noisy images, sometimes one gets lucky and nails the exposure. As long as I don't underexpose, the results are rather satisfying ... This is coming from a guy (me) who complains regularly about the noisy rendering of the K3 at higher ISO settings.
Frankly, I have somewhat better results with my good old K5 for this type of image. On the other hand, the K3 sure does a better job at details (not sure if I explain this properly).

10-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Thanks Les.
I have been shooting quite a bit at high ISO with the K3 and whilst it, "most of the time", shows noisy images, sometimes one gets lucky and nails the exposure. As long as I don't underexpose, the results are rather satisfying ... This is coming from a guy (me) who complains regularly about the noisy rendering of the K3 at higher ISO settings.
Frankly, I have somewhat better results with my good old K5 for this type of image. On the other hand, the K3 sure does a better job at details (not sure if I explain this properly).
Being an old film guy for the longest time I didn't set my K5 past 1600 ISO. I kept on thinking if I set it above 800-1600...well grain or noise would make itself known.

But then our grandson was born early this year and I love to take pictures of him, but I try to avoid the flash, just use available light indoors. My K1 is pretty good at high ISO ...noise wise...and I use my old, reliable FA 50mm F 1.4 around F 2 to F 2.5...works pretty well.

I thought well, maybe I should give my K5 a shot just to see how it does at high ISO. I was pleasantly surprised that it did better at higher ISO's than I thought it would. My K5, which I've had since 2011 has been a very good camera...done everything I've wanted it to do and exceeded expectations. As the radio disc jockeys used to say..it's old but it's gold.
10-25-2018, 12:44 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Encountering a fox with a k-3 ready is a dream of mine .You made the most of an unlikely situation . The fox's expression is priceless .