Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first Astrophotography session!!
Posted By: lauravp77, 08-27-2016, 07:43 AM

So I took the long drive to Tobermory, ON last night. I was annoyed, at first, because there seemed to be many more clouds than I had expected. In the end, the clouds were less of an issue than my apparent lack of knowledge on how to set-up my camera reliably. Still, I got some shots, as rough as they are, that I think make a really good start to my goals.

This was taken in Tobermory, and I was surprised how well it came out consider the lights from the streets and motel polluting the sky. I actually felt like I had control of the camera at this point and knew what I needed to do. I think I just got lucky. lol
A shot of the Big Dipper? I believe anways. I... - lauravp77's Album: LauraVincentPhotography - PentaxForums.com

This was taken from Singing Sands Beach, just south of Tobermory, where it was quite dark. I was having a lot of trouble getting my camera to work the way I wanted at this point. I'm still not sure what I was doing wrong. Baby steps.
This was taken at Singing Sands Beach, just south... - lauravp77's Album: LauraVincentPhotography - PentaxForums.com

I haven't retouched these photos yet. That will be a real learning experience. I feel they are contaminated with a lot of 'noise'. I'm actually not even sure where to begin with either. I use gimp, as I am on linux.
Views: 1,114
08-27-2016, 02:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You were able to catch the stars. The trial and error involved in your experience will show you what settings are best for your taste and equipment.
08-27-2016, 08:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the frustrating world of night photography! You've done better than my first try. My first attempt I didn't even get the focus right.
In the first one 'A Shot of the Big Dipper', the stars look like little comets. This is likely caused by using the lens wide open. Try stopping down a click or two. In the second image the exif shows the aperture as f9.5. That is why it is so dark although the exposure was 10 seconds longer. I know, I sound like Goldilocks. "This aperture is too wide...this aperture is too narrow...this aperture is just right!" Keep trying. You sound like you know know what you want to achieve and about light pollution and now it's a matter of practice.
08-28-2016, 03:30 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Welcome to the frustrating world of night photography! You've done better than my first try. My first attempt I didn't even get the focus right.
In the first one 'A Shot of the Big Dipper', the stars look like little comets. This is likely caused by using the lens wide open. Try stopping down a click or two. In the second image the exif shows the aperture as f9.5. That is why it is so dark although the exposure was 10 seconds longer. I know, I sound like Goldilocks. "This aperture is too wide...this aperture is too narrow...this aperture is just right!" Keep trying. You sound like you know know what you want to achieve and about light pollution and now it's a matter of practice.

Thank you gifthorse! I don't know a whole lot about light pollution, though I guess I know the most important thing - the less, the better. I found this website, and it's a really great resource:

Clear Sky Charts in Ontario (Map)

I will definitely be making another trek out, and as soon as possible. But I might play with my camera in my backyard to get the hang of adjusting the settings first.

08-28-2016, 04:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Try these settings:

ISO: 3200 (if camera supports it)
Aperture: f/2.8-f/3.5 (depending on what lens supports)
Shutter: 13-15s (I highly suggest turning off anti-shake, and using a wired remote)
Focus: Infinity (best to find true infinity on your lens. aim at a bright star for focus, use focus zoom, then tweak until the star is as small and sharp as possible)

Definitely make use of a tripod. If you don't have a cable or IR remote, use the self timer. Keep an eye out for atmospheric anomalies such as fine clouds or atmospheric haze... the wind moving these will cause motion blur, which will force you to raise ISO and lower shutter time, as well as use a wider aperture. For stars, if you're not using bulb mode then 1600 is really about the highest ISO you'd want to use, unless you got a wider lens (then you'd be able to lower the iso while keeping the shutter time the same).

Welcome to the wonderful and many times aggravating world of astrophotography. Just remember to have fun!
08-31-2016, 02:10 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Try these settings:

ISO: 3200 (if camera supports it)
Aperture: f/2.8-f/3.5 (depending on what lens supports)
Shutter: 13-15s (I highly suggest turning off anti-shake, and using a wired remote)
Focus: Infinity (best to find true infinity on your lens. aim at a bright star for focus, use focus zoom, then tweak until the star is as small and sharp as possible)

Definitely make use of a tripod. If you don't have a cable or IR remote, use the self timer. Keep an eye out for atmospheric anomalies such as fine clouds or atmospheric haze... the wind moving these will cause motion blur, which will force you to raise ISO and lower shutter time, as well as use a wider aperture. For stars, if you're not using bulb mode then 1600 is really about the highest ISO you'd want to use, unless you got a wider lens (then you'd be able to lower the iso while keeping the shutter time the same).

Welcome to the wonderful and many times aggravating world of astrophotography. Just remember to have fun!
Thank you Auzzie-Pheonix. I will keep those settings in mind.
09-08-2016, 05:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I plan to do some night photography in that area soon too. I am hoping for less lights from cities and believe that should be possible there. Also still learning.

09-09-2016, 03:46 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by High St Photo Buff Quote
I plan to do some night photography in that area soon too. I am hoping for less lights from cities and believe that should be possible there. Also still learning.
Don't go into Tobermory. Go to Singing Sands Beach. It's on Dorkus road, almost directly across from Cyprus Lake park. There is no light pollution there at all.
09-09-2016, 07:10 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So I was visiting family in South-western, Ontario, where we spent the night camped out on a farm. I took the opportunity to work on some more astrophotography. This is a JPEG image, and I think it has turned out better than my last attempts. I had the camera in raw+ mode, so I have a raw file also. I am wondering if it is possible to remove most of the noise going on? I have opened the raw in RawTherapee, and played with the noise settings a little with no results. Perhaps I am just not doing something important.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/103797-lauravp77/albums/11157-lau...ure102645.html

Last edited by lauravp77; 09-11-2016 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Missing link
09-10-2016, 06:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Looks like the linking/upload failed. There's no image.
09-11-2016, 08:18 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Looks like the linking/upload failed. There's no image.
How odd! Perhaps I forgot to paste in the link! LOL Well it's fixed now.
09-12-2016, 06:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Not bad. Definitely getting some grain. If you go with a wider angle lens like a 28 f/2.8 or even a 90's era 30-80, you should be able to get more leeway with your iso vs shutter. From the exif, you used a 20s shutter with iso 1600. I'm going to assume your aperture was as wide as possible for the focal length you were using (60mm). You're definitely pushing the low light limits on your sensor. Have you considered possibly getting a used K-30 or K-50? The step up to a newer body will definitely cut back on the grain/noise. Either that, or consider using bulb mode with an o-gps1 (if compatible). There's only so much improvement you'll get from a lens upgrade at this point. Definitely congratulations are in order for your results, given the limitations of the hardware, though. Great job!