Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Straightening Up His Bedroom
Posted By: Mike Cash, 07-23-2008, 04:56 AM

If your mother was anything like mine, she was probably fond of greeting your tales of woe with "There's always somebody worse off."

A homeless man on Yamate-dori in Tokyo's Shibuya Ward packs the newspapers that constitute his bedding back inside the plastic shopping bag that constitutes his pillow.

Pentax K20D
S-M-C Takumar 105/2.8

Views: 1,659
07-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A poignant shot Mike - while it is sad and but for the grace of god kinda thing .. and yes Mom pulled that on me all the time along with the starving kids , if they jumped off a bridge - oodles of cliche's in her defense I had some 'rough' years .

I am reminded of a Monty Python skit about the lads outdoing each other’s stories of being poor where the last line is something akin to "we would wake up a half an hour before we went to bed, worked 28 hours a day where we would come home and be executed ...."
07-23-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
Igilligan

Mad

Hey Mike, it is a shame that it is all to easy to find these shooting opportunities in cities all over the world as your photo shows...

I am borrowing a bit of a line from the great Sociologist Alfred E. Neuman when he said something along the lines of...

It is a sad state of affairs when in some of the richest nations of the world, the question 'Paper or Plastic?' now refers to sleeping arrangements...
07-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
jeffkpotter

Wow, Mike thanks for posting. I see a lot of homeless people esp. shooting trains and trainyards. Our sad reality.

09-05-2008, 06:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very good shot Mike and very sad at the same time.

My first wife spend quite a bit of time in Japan and she has family living there. It was my understanding that both visible homeless people and crime was very low. The authorities really frown on the homeless and try to move them out of sight. Has that changed a lot over the years?