Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First try, night sky
Lens: DA 50 1.8, 18-55 Camera: Pentax K-5 
Posted By: kadajawi, 08-28-2016, 07:39 AM

So two night ago the sky was clear, the weather pleasant, and we're getting close to new moon... I had this picture in mind, and after some preparation (car wash, location scouting on Google Maps (where can I avoid civilization and have the milky way facing away from larger towns?), finding out where I should expect the milky way and reading a few tutorials on astrophotography I set off. 11 hours later I was back home, and instead of falling to bed I started photoshopping a few rough ones. Couldn't wait. The 50mm photo was the first one, I wasn't sure if it'd get any darker (there was still some light spill...). I ended up moving on... later it did get darker, but otherwise I couldn't have gotten the other shots, and I had planned to do a star trail one too.

9 photos went into the first one, one ambient light one of the car, one for the night sky. One for the headlights. The rest were lit by moving around the car with a tablet running a "torchlight" app. I didn't expect the ambient one to be as useful as it ended up being... it's used for the windows and the sky right around the car... the sky was shot at f1.8, so the car was completely out of focus.

The second one was shot with the 18-55 kit lens (god is it not sharp...). Sky 15s, f3.5, ISO 5000. The car was shot 30s per photo, f5.6, ISO 400, except for the headlights of course. 10 shots of the car were used in the end, mostly lit by the tablet again, though I also used a torchlight to illuminate the ground, which then illuminated the car. It looked cool, though I ended up dialing it back in the final image.

Finally two quick ones. 3 photos each, one for the sunset, one for the car and one for the headlights. The differences in brightness were just way too big. Did them while I was waiting for it to get dark.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 977
08-28-2016, 08:11 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice work. I've used the multiple exposure setting on my K-5 to try similar ideas. Good balance of lighting between the stars and the car in the first two shots.
08-28-2016, 08:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Nice work. I've used the multiple exposure setting on my K-5 to try similar ideas. Good balance of lighting between the stars and the car in the first two shots.
Thanks I think using the multiple exposure makes it more challenging, because you can't mess up and you can't balance out the shots. My photoshop files are rather big, maybe 1+ GB, with many layers and adjustment layers etc.