Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
What is this technique called again? (Factory JCW MINI pix)
Posted By: m8o, 07-23-2008, 08:22 PM

I was once playing around in Lightroom and made some interesting 'over-processed' yet interestingly compelling images, as it make the metal surfaces look liquid, and accentuates reflections.

Then a few weeks or months later I saw a thread about it, where apparently it was already known as an established named technique ... So what's this called?

Normal

Not too outrageous

Normal

Get'n a bit outrageous, but still works (IMO)

Normal

It's get'n... It's get'n... It's get'n kind'a hectic
It's get'n... It's get'n... It's get'n kind'a hectic ...

...yes, it is a 2009 Factory JCW MINI...
Views: 3,002
07-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Oh ya, and his name is Lil'Buddy.
07-23-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
You are thinking of HDR

I have yet to master that skill.....

LOVE your shots!

D.
07-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #4
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanx. But no, it's not NDR that I'm thinking. That's a method to increase dynamic range, allowing for great shadow & highlight detail, tho is all too often 'over-boosted' to un-natural saturation levels.

This is a purposely 'overboosted' technique that's almost animation-like. It's a technique where Fill-light -> 100%, Recovery -> 100%, Contrast -> 100%, Clarity -> 100% brightness & black-level to balance. Well, that's the way I do it. The thread I saw on it that linked off-site and named the technique, used some other settings. Can't find it tho; thread or the technique's name.

07-23-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Thanx. But no, it's not NDR that I'm thinking. That's a method to increase dynamic range, allowing for great shadow & highlight detail, tho is all too often 'over-boosted' to un-natural saturation levels.

This is a purposely 'overboosted' technique that's almost animation-like. It's a technique where Fill-light -> 100%, Recovery -> 100%, Contrast -> 100%, Clarity -> 100% brightness & black-level to balance. Well, that's the way I do it. The thread I saw on it that linked off-site and named the technique, used some other settings. Can't find it tho; thread or the technique's name.
I just had to give it a try.

My Dad's 1987 Riviera...cartoonified!

Name:  IMGP4952.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  202.6 KB
07-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Okay... I will play too.

This is my Subaru Impreza .....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
07-24-2008, 03:07 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Looks like you are having fun! It looks a lot like a Photoshop action I use called 'Illustrative'. I am not sure if that is the name you are searching for.

07-24-2008, 04:58 AM   #8

It is not HDR but often used as a part of HDR tonemapping. It is "local contrast enhancement" or something like that (different names in different software). Basically it's the part that causes all those halos in tonemapped HDR images (and halos are quite visible here also).
Most RAW converters can achieve the same result because 12bit RAW -> 8bit JPEG is also HDR tonemapping in a sense.
07-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by procyon Quote
It is not HDR but often used as a part of HDR tonemapping. It is "local contrast enhancement" or something like that (different names in different software). Basically it's the part that causes all those halos in tonemapped HDR images (and halos are quite visible here also).
Most RAW converters can achieve the same result because 12bit RAW -> 8bit JPEG is also HDR tonemapping in a sense.
How does one do this????

I will toss in my pic but I would like to know how this tech you are talking about is done good pics m8o

07-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
How does one do this????

I will toss in my pic but I would like to know how this tech you are talking about is done good pics m8o
One easy way to enhance local contrast is by using Unsharp mask with radius somewhere around 40-50.
In fact I get a very close replica of the cars posted by m8o if I apply unsharp mask with radius 50 to his normal picture and then boost saturation.
07-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

One easy way to enhance local contrast is by using Unsharp mask with radius somewhere around 40-50.
In fact I get a very close replica of the cars posted by m8o if I apply unsharp mask with radius 50 to his normal picture and then boost saturation.
Uh, mask??????
07-24-2008, 01:40 PM   #12

Uh, mask??????
"Unsharp mask" is a very commonly used filter in Photoshop/any other image editing software.
07-24-2008, 01:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

"Unsharp mask" is a very commonly used filter in Photoshop/any other image editing software.
I have some reading to do, lol and a lot of PS learning a head of me!
07-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote

I saw a technique like this on Strobist, but I can't find it now.
07-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

How does one do this????

In lightroom (or ACR?):

Recovery 100%
Fill Light 100%
Contrast 100%
Clarity 100%

Adjust brightness/black value to place the curve where you want it.

Steve