Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Like a bird on a wire- Goldfinch Day
Lens: DA*200 with HD DA 1.4 TC Camera: K-3 Photo Location: My back yard ISO: 400 Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: normhead, 09-11-2016, 05:44 PM

It seems to have been Goldfinch day at my house.....

Views: 1,147
09-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sharp clear image and the Bird has great colouring.
09-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Sharp clear image and the Bird has great colouring.
Thanks eaglem, I've been seeing him all summer, today was the first day he hung around for pictures.
09-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That's a nice looking bird Norm and very different to the European Goldfinch that I remember from my 35 years in the UK.

http://www.singing-wings-aviary.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/European-Goldfinch-Photos.jpg

I always liked the European version and they would become quite tame in tourist type places where people would toss them tit-bits to eat.

09-11-2016, 07:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Nice shots. I have been seeing them in some local woods lately also.
09-11-2016, 07:51 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautifully done Norm. Wonderful photographic series. I have to say I find the last one somewhat amusing. He is eyeballing something very interesting, perhaps a big, fat juicy worm. ))

Many thanks.

Tony
09-12-2016, 05:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
That's a nice looking bird Norm and very different to the European Goldfinch that I remember from my 35 years in the UK.

http://www.singing-wings-aviary.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/European-Goldfinch-Photos.jpg

I always liked the European version and they would become quite tame in tourist type places where people would toss them tit-bits to eat.
Ours are shy. The Nuthatches and Chickadees will practically land on my hat while I'm filling the feeders, it's very rare I can get as close as I go to this one. IFOr the Goldfinches, if you are really still, in this case I'm sitting on a ladder at feeder height, with the camera held up to my face, so I don't have to move much when he comes. He's the bold one/ There were another 4 or 5 back in the trees.

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Nice shots. I have been seeing them in some local woods lately also.
They seem to be having a good year this year.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Beautifully done Norm. Wonderful photographic series. I have to say I find the last one somewhat amusing. He is eyeballing something very interesting, perhaps a big, fat juicy worm. ))

Many thanks.

Tony
I find the most natural places to get this type of images are the branches etc. next tot he feeder. There is a variety of food in there, from black oil sunflower seeds to chopped nuts and raisins. The birds often sit on the branches and pick out what they want before diving in, keeping their time in the feeds as limited as possible. With other birds darting in and out, they never know how long they'll get to peruse the buffet.