Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Loon against green reflections.
Lens: Pentax HD 55-300 Camera: Pentax K3 Photo Location: Glacier National Park, Montana 
Posted By: JedlyMT, 09-12-2016, 07:23 PM

This was shot handheld. Check Exif data. Should I have used a tripod? I believe on was on a climb and hiking back and so I didn't have my proper tripod with me. All I had was a small one for a summit photo What are your thoughts?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 542
09-13-2016, 01:29 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, no question it is always advantageous to use your tripod. I use mine nearly 100% now, of course there are situations where it is not possible to set up a tripod, i,e., rocky terrain or soil that is too soft to support any type of weight. What I have trained myself to do in these situations is to place my left hand on my right shoulder, then with the equipment in my right hand, rest the lens on my left arm. I am always certain to let all the air out of my lungs before firing, this way you reduce the chance of photo blur even when breathing. It is a very nice shot with the reflections in the water and the assorted colors of the water fowl. You could do some sharpening in Post Photo Editing if you have one. It isn't really that far out of focus, you came pretty close for being handheld. In addition, you did a very good job with the lens being at 300mm. Hope all this helps.

Rgds,

Tony
09-13-2016, 03:45 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JedlyMT Quote
This was shot handheld. Check Exif data. Should I have used a tripod? I believe on was on a climb and hiking back and so I didn't have my proper tripod with me. All I had was a small one for a summit photo What are your thoughts?
great picture

my "rules"

first "take photo" with your eyes and store in brain

second use camera and memory card, then if possible

third use support, either improvised as suggested or otherwise or set up monopod or tripod of any sort

remember unless you try to take the picture, you don't have a chance of getting a good one.

did I mention that I really like the photo

finally, please remember that my opinion and $ will buy coffee at the diner.
09-13-2016, 05:07 AM   #4
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some additional thoughts:
Heie contributed a superb article on technique. He has experience with accurate use of firearms and is an excellent photographer.
Setting your camera so you will get a series of images with one shutter button depression could mean some of the later images might be sharper than the earliest.
Best wishes..