Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Spain vacation photos.
Posted By: Lambda_drive, 07-24-2008, 03:18 PM

I'm kind of getting feed up with photography. I enjoy most of my photos, but when I look at other peoples work my photos can't even compare. Family and friends say I take nice pictures, but most of them are probably just saying that out of courtesy. I'd like to get some honest criticism regarding my photos.

All of these photos were taken recently with my ancient 5MP Canon S2. I'd like to upgrade to a Pentax SLR, but I don't really think buying an SLR would help me get better photos. An SLR would help greatly in hand held night shots though, that's my cameras weakest area.

Last edited by Lambda_drive; 07-24-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Views: 4,539
07-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I just noticed I posted this thread in the wrong section, could a mod please move this thread to the Critique section.
07-25-2008, 02:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With DSLR you would benefit at the noise level for sure. If you look at the picture no. 2, you can see a lot of noise (as you discovered with a low light situation). It is a beautiful picture, but the noise really takes it away.
A DSLR can help you there, because it has lower noise level at higher ISO. This is when you talk about hand-held images.
Your S2 also has a Manual mode, so try at low ISO setting and put your camera on the tripod, with longer exposure. You'll be impressed.....

Another thing:
If you look at this picture:

In my opinion, the foreground is too sharp. That's the way compact cameras are designed. You cannot adjust DOF by yourself, because it is almost infinite. With a DSLR, you can do this.
07-25-2008, 02:17 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
but I don't really think buying an SLR would help me get better photos
Keep thinking that way and you will keep enjoying dissapointing results.

A good quality SLR is an investment and will re-inspire your love of photography.

07-25-2008, 02:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And there's another thing that bothers me. All of your images are very soft. I don't know if it is a result of resizing or something else.
07-25-2008, 03:45 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It's probably from resizeing, it also doesn't help that my S2 is really soft at most apertures and it gets REALLY soft at the telephoto end.
07-25-2008, 05:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lambda_drive Quote
It's probably from resizeing, it also doesn't help that my S2 is really soft at most apertures and it gets REALLY soft at the telephoto end.
And the "best" part: you cannot do a thing about it! It's a lens problem!
So if you really love photography, go for DSLR!

07-25-2008, 06:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree with the previous posters. I see noise, softness and other IQ problems here. An SLR would let you improve on these technical aspects of your photos. Furthermore, as pentagor said, with an SLR and a fast-ish lens you get lots of control over depth of field, so you can make some distances sharp and others deliberately blurred. This intrduces a whole new dimension to photos.

But there is something else here: composisiton. I see that in each case you have placed the subject of interest right in the middle of the frame. This is rarely that interesting since it creates a static picture, instead of one with movement that attracts the eye.

I would suggest a good book on photographic composition except I do not own any. There is lots to read over at the Luminous Landscape site though.
07-25-2008, 07:57 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Here's the sad part, I took most of those pictures at ISO 50 and I even added some sharpening to them. The low light shots were taken at max ISO, 400, and wide open and it's still really hard to get decent non-blurry photos.

I like to read Ken Rockwells site, does that count?
07-25-2008, 08:45 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like to read Ken Rockwells site, does that count?
I think that can do nothing but harm. He's not only illogical, contradictory, bullying and limited in his outlook but -- worse yet -- is a very bad writer.

Don't give up on photography, but instead get a tool that matches your aspirations. Then you will have the great joy of learning how to use your tool to its fullest.
07-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
KR is pretty entertaining though.

I've been wanting to get a SLR, but I'm not magically going to take nice pictures just because I have an SLR.

Even I were going to get a SLR, I don't really have the money for the type camera I want, K20D. I would settle for a K10D but those are getting harder to find. That's why I' forced to use my old S2.
07-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been wanting to get a SLR, but I'm not magically going to take nice pictures just because I have an SLR.
That sounds like KR speaking.

Actually you will take better pictures. The noise will go, sharpness will appear and contrast, colour definition and more besides will improve. Of course that's not all it will take to be a good photographer, but it is a start. A good craftsman needs the right tools.

You don't need to buy in at the top. Get a K100D Super and take pictures the quality of those in my millenium thread. Around here the kit is 350 euros. In the US it must be going for, what, a couple tanks of gas?
07-25-2008, 04:18 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
That sounds like KR speaking.

You don't need to buy in at the top. Get a K100D Super and take pictures the quality of those in my millenium thread. Around here the kit is 350 euros. In the US it must be going for, what, a couple tanks of gas?

I guess I've been reading too much Ken Rockwell.

I don't know what it is, but I don't really like the K100D that much. The K10D seems like a better camera in my opinion, and I like the fact that you can put a battery grip on the K10D.
07-25-2008, 05:02 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know what it is, but I don't really like the K100D that much. The K10D seems like a better camera in my opinion, and I like the fact that you can put a battery grip on the K10D.
Fair enough. The K10D has the nice second wheel too. I've never missed it and the last thing I'd do is add something to make my camera heavier.

Except a Vivitar Series 1 105mm macro.

07-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The main reason why I want to use a battery grip is because the K10D grip felt a bit small to me, a battery grip will probably mak it a bit more comfortable to hold.

I know camera bodies aren't as big of a deal as lenses, but should I really spend the extra cash on a K10D versus a K100D just for a few extera features and meagapixels?