Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Rehab on the bike...
Lens: 40 XS Camera: K-01 Photo Location: Whitney, Ontario, Canada ISO: 400 
Posted By: normhead, 09-13-2016, 07:12 PM

K-01 40XS

Along the trail. First or second gear, keep those pedals turning, but nothing difficult and no straining.

The long and winding road...

This way, nothing but bush

Who says there's nothing in Whitney

The only street light is temporary.

Working on the bridge...

We even have Pizza

Life on the River....

Bikers at the Beer Store.

It's good to be out again....
The cause of it all.

The whole bunch....
Slide show...

Last edited by normhead; 09-13-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Views: 680
09-13-2016, 07:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm glad to see you ambulatory (or bicyclalotory)!

It will be interesting to see whether/how bicycling changes your photographic choices.

Good luck with the rehab!
09-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That last photo might be me in a few years Norm seeing as I have osteoporosis in both hips! I sold my mountain bike last year as it was just too painful to ride it anymore.
09-13-2016, 08:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I looked at those before I looked at the poster....and thought, someone shoots just like old Norm, and just as good.....can't wait to see who it is! Honest!

Well hell, it is old Norm! Best wishes on a fast recovery.....with my feet it was slow and will never be a full recovery, but you should be like new after a little rehab.
It was tough for me to walk in the rehab stage, but if I had not endured the pain, I wouldn't be walking today. Stick with it!

Regards!

09-13-2016, 10:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good to see you are getting out. You know I approve of your mode of transportation!
09-13-2016, 11:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

That's good news! I wish you fast recovery and many bike rides with your camera to enjoy it and show us some very nice pictures
09-13-2016, 11:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A damn good series of shots!

09-14-2016, 06:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I'm glad to see you ambulatory (or bicyclalotory)!

It will be interesting to see whether/how bicycling changes your photographic choices.

Good luck with the rehab!
Almost everything will be taken from a bike path... at least for a week or two, I can't believe how much just a couple of rides has changed my pain level. It hurts when I get home, but a few hours later I'm better than ever.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
That last photo might be me in a few years Norm seeing as I have osteoporosis in both hips! I sold my mountain bike last year as it was just too painful to ride it anymore.
I haven't ridden my bike in over a year. This is 7 weeks after surgery and I'm back out again. Get'er done. My biggest concern now is, I wish I got this done a year earlier before I lost most of the muscle mass in my legs. The rehab would have been so much easier. When my hip became so palingful I was limited even walking, I tried the bike, but it was a no go. That was maybe 4 months before my operation. This is night and day compared to then, and I'm about half way through the first part of my rehab. ( You get 90% of your strength back in the first 3 months, the rest takes a year.) it's going to get a lot better.

The thing is , before the operation, you're doing more damage every step you take. The new hip gets you back to a point where you can build and maintain muscle mass, without hurting yourself. There is no win win before the hips replacement. Good for the muscles, bad for the hip and no non-surgical way out.

P.S. honestly, get on this. If you wait until you are absolutely desperate, the OHIP 6 month waiting list will make your life more miserable than you can imagine.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I looked at those before I looked at the poster....and thought, someone shoots just like old Norm, and just as good.....can't wait to see who it is! Honest!

Well hell, it is old Norm! Best wishes on a fast recovery.....with my feet it was slow and will never be a full recovery, but you should be like new after a little rehab.
It was tough for me to walk in the rehab stage, but if I had not endured the pain, I wouldn't be walking today. Stick with it!

Regards!
The pain can be discouraging for sure. Having a therapist turn up once a week saying "this is about normal, in a few weeks it will be a lot better" sure helps.

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Good to see you are getting out. You know I approve of your mode of transportation!
It's perfect muscle rehab. Straight line motion, no bumps or un-expected twists or turns, and unlike gym rehab, it's fun. I'm way to slow to ride with anyone, but it's fun being out . I feel like I've been in jail.

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
That's good news! I wish you fast recovery and many bike rides with your camera to enjoy it and show us some very nice pictures
Most of the places I go there aren't bike trails... this is just until I'm strong enough to start humping it again. You can't carry a 30 pound pack and a 70 pound canoe on a bike.

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
A damn good series of shots!
Thanks Eaglem, I don't like my PP on this series, it was more just a "happy to be out of the house" "look what I can do" kind of post.

Last edited by normhead; 09-14-2016 at 08:56 AM.
09-14-2016, 06:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I lost most of the muscle mass in my legs
When I broke my right foot in '92 it was so severe they wanted to amputate, so it took ages for it to heal enough for rehab. By that time my ankle was not much larger than a damn toothpick and hardly any muscle remained. It took ages to get that muscle back to normal. Hard work is painful, but you are on the right track.....without it you will not get the recovery you desire.

And getting about and about after being down and out...isn't that a thrill! I can recall both times when I could go to the store without help or walkers...it was so wonderful!

Best Regards! You're gonna do just fine, and be as grouchy as ever in no time!