Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Chasm Lake Trail - High Up in the Rockies
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 09-13-2016, 08:07 PM

Over the weekend I decided to pack up my camera gear and get into the high country for some hiking and photography.

This time I chose to hike the Chasm Lake Trail which winds its way up to a high mountain lake right below Longs Peak. It is an up and back hike roughly 8.5 miles and climbs roughly 2500 ft in elevation gain.

Loaded up with three cameras, a Large Format 4x5 film camera, an old Russian Kiev rangefinder and a Sigma DP2 Merrill digital camera, I headed out.

These photos are from the Sigma DP2 Merrill digital camera. I'll post the film shots later

The first couple miles of the trail cuts through an area called Goblins Forrest. Lots of trees and streams, but uphill the whole way.

After getting higher, the forest subsides and you get into the sub-alpine zone. A while later and you leave the trees behind completely and you are now in the Alpine zone. This is where you can first see Longs Peak on the trail.

The alpine tundra is already changing to fall colors. It won't be long until the area is covered in snow.

Almost to the lake, I stopped for some lunch. Beef Jerky that I smoked the previous day. Not a bad spot to stop and eat.

A little further up the trail. Chasm Lake is in the cirque just ahead. Unfortunately, I turned around at this point. I have been hiking and taking large format photos for about 4 hours now and that 50 lbs of gear was wearing me down. I had another 4 miles and 2000 ft of elevation drop to get back to the truck, but before I went I took a few more photos.

On the way back through Goblins Forrest, only another mile to go.

Next time I'll bring a little less gear. The large format camera and all its accessories really weighs you down on these types of trips. Not only that, but I probably spent a good two hours talking to people about the camera. I actually spent longer talking to people and showing how the large format camera worked than actually taking pictures.

I don't mind though, it always happens when I hike with that rosewood and brass camera.

I'll update this thread as soon as I develop and scan in the 20 sheets of film I shot on this outing. I shot 14 B&W sheets ant 6 Velvia Slide film sheets.
Views: 965
09-13-2016, 09:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful! I miss Colorado!
09-14-2016, 01:48 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful shots with the Merrill, and gorgeous landscape. Can't wait to see the 4x5 photographs. Great work!
09-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots. The mountains and their bases with the foliage make for some really nice contrast/color composition.

09-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #5
Forum Member

Very very nice shots !
09-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #6

Very nice. I have done that hike and it was hard enough without a 4x5 kit.