Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Black H'Mong
Lens: Pentax 60-250 Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Sapa ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Schraubstock, 09-21-2016, 04:07 AM

Taken for a travel brochure.

These are people of the ethnic minority black H'Mong tribe of the Cat Cat Village in Sapa North Vietnam close to the Chinese border.
They migrated from China some 300 years ago to live in this area and keep their cultural tradition alive. But western live styles are creeping in. (Satellite dishes and flat screen TV) Still, a lot of their culture remains.

For example a young girl or women is judged by men to be suitable for marriage not so much by her looks but by her embroidery skills. Consequently young women are seen busy doing beautiful embroidery work everywhere they go. And very colouful it is too. The Black H'Mong are also worshiping in a peculiar way indigo which they produce and use to dye their clothing and they don't seem to mind getting indigo dye on their hands and faces.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-15-2016 at 03:11 AM.
Views: 901
09-22-2016, 03:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice insight in a totally different culture. Thanks!
09-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Love that picture.
09-23-2016, 03:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Nice insight in a totally different culture. Thanks!
Thanks. Yes it is different alright. They only seem to know other cultures from what they see on TV because they themselves don't appear to travel much, certainly not outside their own area.

Cheers.

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Love that picture.
Thanks Heinrich,
I do not wish to create controversy here nor am I trying to be critical of others fine pictures but I must say I have left behind birds, flowers and sunsets quite some time ago. As a travel photographer I try to look for motives which will instill people to travel. But I also always look out for some human interest motive or something funny or silly things people do. Occasionally I strike it lucky. Like the picture below:

"It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman"

Thanks again Heinrich

09-23-2016, 04:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I like your photo, seeing this scene although from across the world reminded me of my mother and myself and my aunts. We are all quite knowlegeble in the sewing area, quilting, clothing making, purses, repairs. Put us together in the same room and it gets to a serious level of skills and decibel level. Myself, well I am the most skilled of my family group in the hand embroidery. I started practicing when I was 6. It would be fantastic to see their work close up, the detail and their designs.

Last edited by sherrvonne; 09-23-2016 at 04:45 AM.
09-23-2016, 04:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Fascinating culture. Thank you for this little piece of information. Nice to learn something new
09-23-2016, 10:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
It would be fantastic to see their work close up, the detail and their designs.
Thanks for the comment. Never occurred to me to take close ups of their work as I am not into embroidery. It is not a typical male thing even though I appreciate the work. But for you there is only one way to satisfy your curiosity, pack your bags and go.

On one of my trips to Vietnam I did however buy a silk embroidery picture from a notable Vietnamese artist which I have framed. I have taken a quick photo of it (with glass reflections and all) to show you because I thought you may be interested. It shows a Vietnamese salt worker. The artist said it took him 6 months to complete. From a certain distance it looks more like a painting.

Greetings

---------- Post added 24-09-16 at 03:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Thank you for this little piece of information. Nice to learn something new
I am glad. Thanks for taking the time to comment

Cheers

09-24-2016, 04:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Thanks for the comment. Never occurred to me to take close ups of their work as I am not into embroidery. It is not a typical male thing even though I appreciate the work. But for you there is only one way to satisfy your curiosity, pack your bags and go.

On one of my trips to Vietnam I did however buy a silk embroidery picture from a notable Vietnamese artist which I have framed. I have taken a quick photo of it (with glass reflections and all) to show you because I thought you may be interested. It shows a Vietnamese salt worker. The artist said it took him 6 months to complete. From a certain distance it looks more like a painting.

Greetings

---------- Post added 24-09-16 at 03:38 PM ----------

I am glad. Thanks for taking the time to comment

Cheers
The silk embroidery is beautiful, I like the way the artist detailed the salt grains. Thanks for posting that. Someday I will get to see all those places, I plan on it.