Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Eye of the Menace
Posted By: Igilligan, 07-25-2008, 09:29 AM

So I just got my first PTTL flash and I of course wanted to shoot a bunch of shots to test it... My poor girls.

They have figured out that when a package comes in the mail that they have all the power that day. I need models and they need Ice Cream and TV time....

Attachment 15893

And this is the look I get after taking way to many flash shots of the Human Tornado while she is coloring

Attachment 15894

Over all I like the Pttl, a bit hit and miss on exposure. The oldest still beats the flash (blinky eye) on anything but bounce shots. But when it works, I like how the pttl works...
Views: 3,220
07-25-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice fill on that second shot. What lens did you use? That thing is sharp as heck...
07-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice sharp pictures too. So what flash did you end up with? It is fun to have a new toy to play with.
07-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
Igilligan

I forgot the specs...

The lens on the first is the vivi 105

The lens on the second is the Tamron 28-75 at F2.8

I agree that the fill on the second is really good... If they all looked like that who could anyone complain about PTTL.... but of course they do not all look quite so balanced.

Thanks Fritz
The flash is a used sigma 500- st (not the super) Pretty basic, but does tilt and swivel...

Last edited by Igilligan; 07-26-2008 at 09:39 AM.
07-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
Igilligan

Thanks maxwell

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Very nice fill on that second shot. What lens did you use? That thing is sharp as heck...
Is it too sharp? I gave it a slight bump before I resize it down. I am not sure if it really needed it, but I tend to bump sharpen if I am resizing for the web and sometimes the tamron and the vivi series one may not need that at all.
07-25-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

No, not too sharp at all. I should have clarified my statement. The first shot looks wicked sharp. The second shot has the very nice fill. I just assumed both were shot with the same lens. The second pic looks great. Definitely not too sharp....
07-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent shots both. Sharp and I like the exposures. It's all about practice and you might want the Ben and Jerry's truck to back up to the front door

07-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice shots Gus - might be time to get a pet , they give less attidude (usually) but on the flip side they can hide better ....
07-25-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Absolutely great shots. Thanks for sharing.
07-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
Igilligan

Thanks you all

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Excellent shots both. Sharp and I like the exposures. It's all about practice and you might want the Ben and Jerry's truck to back up to the front door
Hey Peter. Believe me, I buy the costco size boxes of icecream sandwiches... But even with that, they have little patience for my experiments with the flashes... That is why I had spent my money on fast lenses and ice cream in the first place. haha

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice shots Gus - might be time to get a pet , they give less attidude (usually) but on the flip side they can hide better ....
You think the kids are tough practicing flash shots on? Try it with a cat...

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Absolutely great shots. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Robin... I am really having fun with the flash, and that is a bit of suprise to me.
07-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

these are really nice! Love how crisp that first shot is and you can tell in the second shot you don't have much time left to deliver the ice cream, lol
07-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful shots - and daughter too.

Judging by your avatar you must have married well.

Just kidding Gus
07-25-2008, 10:58 PM   #13
Damn Brit

Excellent shots Gus. I bet it's worth whatever demands they make to be able to get them to pose for you.
Gary
07-25-2008, 11:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

God I love the 28-75... for the dollars, hard to beat! Both are excellent shots. JIMBO
07-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #15
Igilligan

I can see why they want to use eyeballs...

as a way to indentify you... look at all the colorful detail going on in her eyes...

QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
these are really nice! Love how crisp that first shot is and you can tell in the second shot you don't have much time left to deliver the ice cream, lol
Thanks Rosemary, actually when I see that face, we are way beyond the power of the treat...

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Beautiful shots - and daughter too.

Judging by your avatar you must have married well.

Just kidding Gus
Actually the Avatar is a wax head.... but he is way better looking than I am. I did marry extremely well and thankfully the girls look like their momma. But the youngest one is so ME... and it scares me....

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Excellent shots Gus. I bet it's worth whatever demands they make to be able to get them to pose for you.
Gary
You are so right Gary... If they would let me I would take pics of them all day...
Hopefully as they get a bit older I can convince them to play "models".

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
God I love the 28-75... for the dollars, hard to beat! Both are excellent shots. JIMBO
JIM.... my feelings exactly. No lens in my bag has consistantly made me smile like the 28-75... someday the 50-135 may show up on my door and replace the tammy as my favorite lens, but until then.....
Although I really need to spend a week with my DA 40 and really give it a chance. But with what I have learned from the 28-75, the 70 or 77 may have been a better choice in focal range for the shots I take.