Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Fly Photography
Posted By: sjovolde, 09-25-2016, 08:49 PM

I also posted these in the macro group, I'm sorry if you follow both. Any tips photography wise or editing would be appreciated.

Views: 871
09-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you know what the settings were you used? If you do, it would help us help you. What f stop, any specific lighting helps. Actually it's better if you upload photos with EXIF intact. For example, smaller apertures f8 and above give more DOF and make for things such as better detail captured.
09-25-2016, 09:12 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
My apologies, i thought the exif info would show up. All are take with K3 and DFA 50 mm macro. A speed light is setup to the right running TTL metering. The camera is set at ISO 100, 180th shutter speed to get a black back ground.

Picture #1 F32,no reflectors.

Picture #2 F2.8 with a rubbermaid tub lid acting as a reflector on the left side. I know, kind of hokey, but it works. I was going for very little depth of field but still being able to light the left side as well.

Picture #3, the bait fish streamer. F22 with the same reflector set up.

If you would like a picture of the setup i could rig my my Kx and take a picture.
Evan
09-25-2016, 09:30 PM   #4
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sjovolde Quote
Picture #1 F32,no reflectors.

Picture #2 F2.8 with a rubbermaid tub lid acting as a reflector on the left side. I know, kind of hokey, but it works. I was going for very little depth of field but still being able to light the left side as well.

Picture #3, the bait fish streamer. F22 with the same reflector set up. If you would like a picture of the setup i could rig my my Kx and take a picture. Evan
Well, if that's the effect you were looking for, I'd say you did a good job. I noticed your photos are hosted via flickr, if you use BBcode and copy and past the code here it will keep the EXIF intact and others will be able to click on the image to see a larger photo and more details in said photo plus be able to see which settings you used. These are kind of small and hard to tell if the f32 caused diffraction or not.

I'm curious how the Rubbermaid lid can reflect. Most are a dull color and I'd think that would detract rather than reflect.

09-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've found that using a rod inserted into a cork or a clip attached to a rod elevate the fly enough so that you won't have the distraction of the lid? in your first image

a couple of guys I've seen just hot glue the hook to a dowel or rod
you can edit the support out in post and the fly appears suspended

nice flies
is the head of your mouse (it is a mouse?) craft foam as well?
09-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #6

Original Poster
CCC
Thanks for the ideas.
It is a mouse. The head is made out of a foam popper head and then coloured with sharpie markers.

Evan
09-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I used cut up boxes, etc for backdrop support/lightboxes

ultimately I ran across a foldio on clearance/sale
it comes with led lights but I've used a pair of ikea lamps for a while now
they are quite small, bright and inexpensive

your mouse appears to use zonker strips
doesn't that get fairly heavy when wet?

btw...sharpies are amazing aren't they?

apparently i'm not firing on all cylinders...
for props could use your reel, a branch, i used an old tobacco tin once, a pocket knife...i'm sure you get it
I have a picture somewhere where the person used heavy mono hold the fly for a horizontal shot

Last edited by ccc_; 09-26-2016 at 01:23 PM.
09-27-2016, 06:01 AM   #8

Original Poster
CCC
Thanks for the other ideas. Another background I use are spare pieces of tile from my kitchen floor. It's a man made tile, but looks like limestone. The fly looks like it's sitting on rock.
As far as the mouse, it's tied out of rabbit zonkers, but I use the majic tool to cut the hide of and spin the hair in a dubbing loop. I haven't had a chance to cast it but I hope it's not too bad. If it is I'll use my 8wt.

09-27-2016, 08:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I also use 12x12 floor tiles...samples actually from a home center
sometimes I thoroughly wet them and add a couple of stones, it's a nice effect

I ran across a fellow in Wisconsin who set a "diorama" with tile, stones and driftwood
then epoxied (bar finish) the whole thing
it did look like a stream bottom
he shot his custom lures mounted on it

the reason i'd asked about the fly is I tie a similar one...more a gurgler/mouse( I suspect yours will act more like slider) for largemouth (no trout within a long day's drive)
the zonkers become almost alive but soak up a lot of water and a day slinging an 8wt is a long day
so I switched to craft fur dubbing loops and use either silicone cord or leather lace for the tails
using a size 6 hook I can get by with a 5wt if I work at it
6wt is about perfect

i'll quit bothering you
thanks for the info

craig