Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ladybird Convention
Posted By: Damn Brit, 07-25-2008, 10:43 PM

Took this series in my front garden today.

#1, #2 and #3: Arrivals

Last edited by Damn Brit; 10-03-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Views: 3,186
07-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
Damn Brit

#4 A quick wash after the journey and #5 Dry off in the sun.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 10-03-2008 at 10:27 PM.
07-25-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
Damn Brit

#6 The reason they are here.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 10-03-2008 at 10:27 PM.
07-25-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The first one is awesome Gary... Never seen so many together. JIMBO

07-26-2008, 04:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the first and 4th ones. Numer 4 is great. I really like the look and colour of the leaf with the red lady bug in contrst. The last is an egg cluster or food of some sort? I can't tell what that is.
07-26-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow that is a lot of Lady Bugs ! Almost convention like - nice series Gary.
07-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice series Gary!

My favorites are #2 & #4.

Keep up the great work.

And thanks for the info. about Napa. I had a great time and got some exceptional shots of the vinyards and wine making facilities. I would post some, but I was too chicken to take my DSLR so I used my Olympus point and shoot instead (I wouldn't be comfortable posting Olympus photos on the Pentax Forum).

Ray

07-26-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
mel
Veteran Member

We have these things in swarms all over the place, especially in the fall. I think they are actually living and reproducing under the siding of our house. When the next-door neighbors had their siding replaced, it was literally crawling with ladybugs. I'm sure mine is the same way. They crawl all over the ceilings and congregate in the corners, die between the windows, and drop in my beverages. So nice shots Gary, but ew. Maybe this fall when they're swarming I'll post some shots of our masses of ladybugs.
07-26-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I love #4, the lines, I guess the others have too many of them which kinda creep me out abit
07-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I hardley see one ladybug...never mind that many...cool
07-26-2008, 12:58 PM   #11
Igilligan

Gary and Peter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I like the first and 4th ones. Numer 4 is great. I really like the look and colour of the leaf with the red lady bug in contrst. The last is an egg cluster or food of some sort? I can't tell what that is.

Peter those are a ton of Aphids... they are the favorite food of Ladybugs and Ladybug Larve... Just a few on a rose bush can clean it up in a few days.

The ladybug larva have even a bigger appetite...

Great shots Gary.... I also have not seen that many in one spot before. It was our best year in a long time for ladybugs, but we did not have any Katydids up here this year. Our roses were covered in katydid nymphs last year but I have seen none yet this year, very strange.
I miss these guys.... did you have many of these this year?
07-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #12
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
The first one is awesome Gary... Never seen so many together. JIMBO
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow that is a lot of Lady Bugs ! Almost convention like - nice series Gary.
QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
I love #4, the lines, I guess the others have too many of them which kinda creep me out abit
QuoteOriginally posted by Eastern Shore Charlie Quote
I hardley see one ladybug...never mind that many...cool
Thanks for looking guys. It was cool seeing all those ladybugs together.
07-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #13
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by sawtooth235 Quote
Nice series Gary!

My favorites are #2 & #4.

Keep up the great work.

And thanks for the info. about Napa. I had a great time and got some exceptional shots of the vinyards and wine making facilities. I would post some, but I was too chicken to take my DSLR so I used my Olympus point and shoot instead (I wouldn't be comfortable posting Olympus photos on the Pentax Forum).

Ray
Glad to be of help Ray. You could maybe post some of those shots you took in the P&S competition in the P&S section. Any brand is ok.
07-26-2008, 02:38 PM   #14
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Peter those are a ton of Aphids... they are the favorite food of Ladybugs and Ladybug Larve... Just a few on a rose bush can clean it up in a few days.

The ladybug larva have even a bigger appetite...

Great shots Gary.... I also have not seen that many in one spot before. It was our best year in a long time for ladybugs, but we did not have any Katydids up here this year. Our roses were covered in katydid nymphs last year but I have seen none yet this year, very strange.
I miss these guys.... did you have many of these this year?
Hi Gus, thanks for the comment. I never see the katydids over this way. I have noticed that as more stuff gets planted in the garden, more and more 'visitors' are turning up. It's really cool. With a bit of luck I should get plenty of ladybird larvae this year too.
Gary
07-26-2008, 02:40 PM   #15
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
We have these things in swarms all over the place, especially in the fall. I think they are actually living and reproducing under the siding of our house. When the next-door neighbors had their siding replaced, it was literally crawling with ladybugs. I'm sure mine is the same way. They crawl all over the ceilings and congregate in the corners, die between the windows, and drop in my beverages. So nice shots Gary, but ew. Maybe this fall when they're swarming I'll post some shots of our masses of ladybugs.

I look forward to seeing those swarms. We have them here sometimes, where my wife takes the dogs walking there is a glade where the ladybugs overwinter. On a sunny day they will swarm before going back undercover. One day they covered one of our dogs, wish my wife had had a camera on her.