Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  
Remember Pentax Don't Do Sports
Posted By: Kerrowdown, 10-02-2016, 02:32 AM

I'm sorry folks, I forgot that with my old fashioned manual lenses and Pentax cameras that you can't do this sort of thing.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 2,360
10-13-2016, 02:37 AM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Just to much light about, I'd have to shoot this through an optically perfect piece of plywood to get a long exposure for "smooth and milky".
I understand the problem of dealing with the weight of such a filter but woodn't it be worth it in terms of effect?

as far as trying to catch "action" with a Pentax, well, I'll confess, I tried and failed, may be I shouldn't have been hand holding the K 3 + Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2 + 1.4x converter:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-13-2016 at 02:51 AM. Reason: added photo and text
10-13-2016, 02:40 AM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I understand the problem of dealing with the weight of such a filter but woodn't it be worth it in terms of effect?
My main concern would be... it may introduce too much grain to the final image.
10-13-2016, 03:08 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

My main concern would be... it may introduce too much grain to the final image.
wood that be corn, wheat or oats?

since you are from Scotland - barley??

I hope that woodn't cut down on the production of whisky

curious minds want to know
10-13-2016, 04:48 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think Dr Johnson once described oats as given to horses in England, eaten by people in Scotland.

10-13-2016, 05:00 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think Dr Johnson once described oats as given to horses in England, eaten by people in Scotland.
no problem, we scots are smart enough to eat them before they are "processed" by horses.

you never ate oatmeal plus maple syrup and raisins?
10-13-2016, 05:22 AM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
wood that be corn, wheat or oats?

since you are from Scotland - barley??

I hope that woodn't cut down on the production of whisky

curious minds want to know
Was actually thinking wood grain.

But some of us here are old enough to remember film grain the size of golf balls, when you got ambitious and pushed stuff too hard.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 10-13-2016 at 01:11 PM.
10-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
no problem, we scots are smart enough to eat them before they are "processed" by horses.

you never ate oatmeal plus maple syrup and raisins?
In fact, I love porridge, Aslyfox.

My dad's family were mad, rigid, Presbyterian Scots. :-)

10-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
we scots
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
My dad's family were mad, rigid, Presbyterian Scots
See... we in history have been known to travel a bit.
10-13-2016, 12:04 PM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

so comments on my attempt to catch "action" with a pentax body??

the bird I was trying to catch up with is a hen wood duck, you can tell by the white eye patch
10-13-2016, 12:15 PM   #25
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I tried and failed, may be I shouldn't have been hand holding the K 3 + Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2 + 1.4x converter:
so comments on my attempt to catch "action" with a Pentax body??
Think in this particular case I'd have been tempted to maybe drop the aperture down from F11 to F5.6 (cos your losing a stop of light with this converter) giving you a couple of extra stops on shutter speed. Of course dependant on how well this lens performs wide open at the long end, which I'm assuming you were at.

Don't know too much about K3s, but could you have pushed the ISO up a few stops too.
10-13-2016, 04:18 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, Pentax can not do sports at all. No doubt about it, just gotta listen to anyone who doesn't own one.
Now, hope you guys and gals appreciate the effort that has gone into this shot. Firstly I had to kidnap the statue and then put in an acrylic post in the water, which was way over my head, and then attach the statue, which weighed a lot, all the time balancing in my canoe...I kid you not folks, a herculean effort has gone into this.
Hope you enjoy.

Name:  AAAB0083-2.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  265.6 KB
10-13-2016, 04:25 PM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
No, Pentax can not do sports at all. No doubt about it, just gotta listen to anyone who doesn't own one.
Now, hope you guys and gals appreciate the effort that has gone into this shot. Firstly I had to kidnap the statue and then put in an acrylic post in the water, which was way over my head, and then attach the statue, which weighed a lot, all the time balancing in my canoe...I kid you not folks, a herculean effort has gone into this.
Hope you enjoy.

Attachment 328921
You didn't explain how you added the white stuff, I can't tell is it whipped cream or cream cheese?

BTW nice photo
10-13-2016, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dynamite...fuse was a bit short though...still recovering. Got a few fish though.
10-13-2016, 04:39 PM   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Think in this particular case I'd have been tempted to maybe drop the aperture down from F11 to F5.6 (cos your losing a stop of light with this converter) giving you a couple of extra stops on shutter speed. Of course dependant on how well this lens performs wide open at the long end, which I'm assuming you were at.

Don't know too much about K3s, but could you have pushed the ISO up a few stops too.

Good suggestions on modifying my set up

However, i really didn't have the time to change settings, completely unexpected action and was never duplicated. I was taking pictures of various species of ducks being fed by kids from an elevated dock on the far side of the pond.

Some one tried a "Centerfield to home " throw and the wood duck went into "road runner" mode. Although you might think it was taking off it never did and settled down a few feet out of frame

I was "panning" the shot and praying that I would catch up with "speedy".

First time I had used the 1.4 converter as well

You get what you get

Unless you pose the shot like certain people do��

(Can't think of any more excuses right now, may be I will edit later��)

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-13-2016 at 04:45 PM.
10-14-2016, 12:33 AM   #30
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Hope you enjoy.

Attachment 328921
Thanks all those tips on which props a techniques to use on Pentax non action shots.