Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have to buy that lens...
Great picture!
10-02-2016, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful Portrait of a very beautiful young lady. It is not easy to get away with a side profile, however you have definitely knocked it out of the park with this one.

Excellent. Well done. Her expression is priceless. Thanks.

Antonio

10-03-2016, 01:34 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, everyone. She's standing in front of a giant octabox. I'd intended to turn off the softbox to the side so this would be a silhouette, but liked this better.

Tara's idea to pull her leather jacket down to put more personality into the shot.

10-03-2016, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Tara's idea to pull her leather jacket down to put more personality into the shot.

Your life is depressingly different from mine, mate....
10-03-2016, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Your life is depressingly different from mine
Aye me too... my calls for "get 'em off" never work, perhaps it's the way I tell 'em.

10-03-2016, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

She's standing in front of a giant octabox.
How did you get the 45 degree angle between her back and her neck and head? Is she leaning back that much and how did you get her to keep her neck and head straight? Very nice, indeed.
10-03-2016, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Wow !!!!!!
10-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Your life is depressingly different from mine, mate....
(Laughs).

You can do this too, CB!

This is me going to school - a paid afternoon photography lesson/workshop, advertised on Meetup (I don't know if that app is popular in the States).

The pro sets up all the gear in his commercial studio, hires a couple of agency models, does some tutorials, and sets us loose for four hours.

After a while, the pics become indistinguishable from that of the pro because of course we are using the same lighting and subjects. That might come as a shock to gear-obsessed members of this forum. Expensive gear is not needed - shooting is typically 1/125s, f8, ISO 100 and even kit lenses look good with those settings.

The pro in this case never used anything but a bog standard Canon 50mm f1.4 (no f1.2 or Zeiss Otis), and he's an F-Stoppers Photographer of the Month.

You improve real quick doing these things because you're rubbing shoulders, watching and socializing with fellow togs who are a level better than you, rather than a level below or too many levels above.

Last edited by clackers; 10-03-2016 at 04:19 PM.
10-03-2016, 04:16 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
How did you get the 45 degree angle between her back and her neck and head? Is she leaning back that much and how did you get her to keep her neck and head straight? Very nice, indeed.
Thanks, RGlasel.

There's little 'Dutch tilt' to this - even though she is very tall, she's bending backwards and holding the pose with her core muscles to make the shot unusual.

I've discovered that when the subject is an aspiring model (from ModelMayhem or similar) or no experience at all (family members, friends, etc) you really need to take charge, show them the pose yourself, and give a *lot* of direction. You have to get this right, especially with non-models, because they think you're going to take one shot, and they can go back to their dinner, keep talking with their guests, whatever. They want it over and done with, you're not going to get to choose amongst lots of pics.

With an agency model, the feeling can be totally different. Maybe not when they realize you're a gearhead who silently hides clicking behind the viewfinder and obsesses over getting the settings right. Awkward pauses in the conversation kill any mood.

But the pros I've seen don't stop talking to the model, don't stop making and taking suggestions, and it becomes a real collaboration. When an experienced model senses what you're trying to do from the starting pose you give them, a flow happens where after each click they vary the look themselves to give you lots of choices.

You don't have to build that trust and bonhomie with a flower or a sunset. You do with people. The good news is, unlike a K-1 and D FA 70-200mm f2.8, that rapport costs a hobbyist no money.

Tara is not just good looking, she's an artistic young person and during a later session with her she's put in some ghostly contact lenses, so later in the year I'll take the time to process the RAW and composite it with a fantasy snow background - she'll be like some female Winter Walker princess from 'Game of Thrones' - I promise to post it here.

Last edited by clackers; 10-03-2016 at 04:58 PM.
10-03-2016, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

that rapport costs a hobbyist no money.

Oz doesn't have the legal doctrine of "community property"?

At any rate, thanks for the insights into how you work, and certainly the results speak for themselves.
10-03-2016, 07:14 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oz doesn't have the legal doctrine of "community property"?.
Well, a model release is a bit like a pre-nuptial. 😅

10-03-2016, 07:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

After a while, the pics become indistinguishable from that of the pro because of course we are using the same lighting and subjects. That might come as a shock to gear-obsessed members of this forum. Expensive gear is not needed - shooting is typically 1/125s, f8, ISO 100 and even kit lenses look good with those settings.
It's almost as if the subject, concept, and lighting and stuff are more important than that extra half stop of iso performance.

You don't have to build that trust and bonhomie with a flower or a sunset. You do with people.
I'm fairly certain you're photographing flowers and sunsets wrong. Or maybe you're just not shooting them like a lonely antisocial person

Terrific work and info. I think many of us (definitely including myself here!) would do well to step out of our usual comfort zone and challenge ourselves by shooting live models. Who aren't ourselves.
10-03-2016, 09:30 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
It's almost as if the subject, concept, and lighting and stuff are more important than that extra half stop of iso performance.

I knew it would resonate with you, Brian ... you can put a lot of effort into your shots ... getting the coloured backgrounds right, bringing specimens inside and supporting them correctly, lighting properly ... your shots are no accident!

I'm fairly certain you're photographing flowers and sunsets wrong..

I think you can be put away ("sectioned" in UK parlance) for trying to get the best out of plants by talking to them.

I think many of us (definitely including myself here!) would do well to step out of our usual comfort zone and challenge ourselves by shooting live models.

Yeah, you really have to lift your game. A bit like a soldier might learn to strip and reassemble their weapon blindfolded, we have to know our cameras so well that we can change ISO, shutter speed, aperture and flash exposure compensation almost secretly without breaking the connection between us and the subject. Dials and buttons are great for this, menus lousy, so my Pentaxes are a joy to use, my Sonys are a PITA!