Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Milkyway, first time with Sammy 14mm f2.8
Lens: Samyang 14mm f2.8 Camera: Pentax K-3 ii Photo Location: Sweden 
Posted By: pentaphil, 10-07-2016, 12:34 AM

Hi everyone,

this was on of my first attempts in shooting the Milkyway. I used a Samyang 14mm f2.8. Lens was brand new and never used before. So I had to learn how to handle the lens
Hope you like it. Maybe you can give me some tipps how to do better
It was quiet hard to focus at night. I read that some people fix the focusring with tape. But I was shooting also in the day, so this was not a good option for me

Attached Images
 

Views: 747
10-07-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Aaron28's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 5,303
nice decent work
10-07-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,018
To focus at night, find a bright star point lens at it, go into live view then magnify live view as far as it will go, then focus until the star is as small as possible. That trick works, and I learned it here on the forums. Definitely use the astrotracer. A 2 minute exposure works very well at 400-640 ISO. Use a cable or IR remote, but an electronic timer cable remote is the best way to go, and set it to a 3s delay. If you notice the stars trailing at 2 min, then cut the time of the exposure back by 5-10s each adjustment until you have minimal trailing. You will have to bump up the ISO but usually never more than 800 in bulb using the astrotracer.
10-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #4
Senior Member
Greenneck's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 200
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
To focus at night, find a bright star point lens at it, go into live view then magnify live view as far as it will go, then focus until the star is as small as possible. That trick works, and I learned it here on the forums. Definitely use the astrotracer. A 2 minute exposure works very well at 400-640 ISO. Use a cable or IR remote, but an electronic timer cable remote is the best way to go, and set it to a 3s delay. If you notice the stars trailing at 2 min, then cut the time of the exposure back by 5-10s each adjustment until you have minimal trailing. You will have to bump up the ISO but usually never more than 800 in bulb using the astrotracer.
2 minutes is going to trail with any lens... For a 14mm they can even trail a tiny bit at 30 seconds.

Best bet to focus at infinity during the day then either learn where that spot is on your reference scale, or make some sort of small mark on it you can reference at night, and research hyper focus distance Hyperfocus table if you need your foreground sharp as well

10-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,018
QuoteOriginally posted by Greenneck Quote
2 minutes is going to trail with any lens... For a 14mm they can even trail a tiny bit at 30 seconds.

Best bet to focus at infinity during the day then either learn where that spot is on your reference scale, or make some sort of small mark on it you can reference at night, and research hyper focus distance Hyperfocus table if you need your foreground sharp as well
2 minutes using a UWA with astrotracer function enabled is quite feasible. The edges will trail, but the center will be sharp. You will have foreground blur though. All depends on how you want to do the shot.
08-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Prague
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,013
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaphil Quote
Hi everyone,

this was on of my first attempts in shooting the Milkyway. I used a Samyang 14mm f2.8. Lens was brand new and never used before. So I had to learn how to handle the lens
Hope you like it. Maybe you can give me some tipps how to do better
It was quiet hard to focus at night. I read that some people fix the focusring with tape. But I was shooting also in the day, so this was not a good option for me
Gorgeous!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
14mm, camera, f2.8, lens, milkyway, photo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difficulty with Rokinon 14mm f2.8 on K-1 eliphas Pentax K-1 5 08-10-2016 06:46 AM
Night First milkyway! Dreams come true tengo Post Your Photos! 11 07-11-2015 05:46 PM
Help with Rokinnon 14mm F2.8 agatchell Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 14 07-10-2015 01:08 PM
Vivitar 14mm f2.8? Same as Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 14mm f2.8? buliwyf Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 05-14-2015 08:18 PM
Help: Long time lurker first time poster, tamrom 17-50 2.8 vs sigma f2.8 for low ligh monkclothing Welcomes and Introductions 4 12-12-2012 02:41 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:37 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top