Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Milkyway, first time with Sammy 14mm f2.8
Lens: Samyang 14mm f2.8 Camera: Pentax K-3 ii Photo Location: Sweden 
Posted By: pentaphil, 10-07-2016, 12:34 AM

Hi everyone,

this was on of my first attempts in shooting the Milkyway. I used a Samyang 14mm f2.8. Lens was brand new and never used before. So I had to learn how to handle the lens
Hope you like it. Maybe you can give me some tipps how to do better
It was quiet hard to focus at night. I read that some people fix the focusring with tape. But I was shooting also in the day, so this was not a good option for me

Attached Images

Views: 747
10-07-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

nice decent work
10-07-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
To focus at night, find a bright star point lens at it, go into live view then magnify live view as far as it will go, then focus until the star is as small as possible. That trick works, and I learned it here on the forums. Definitely use the astrotracer. A 2 minute exposure works very well at 400-640 ISO. Use a cable or IR remote, but an electronic timer cable remote is the best way to go, and set it to a 3s delay. If you notice the stars trailing at 2 min, then cut the time of the exposure back by 5-10s each adjustment until you have minimal trailing. You will have to bump up the ISO but usually never more than 800 in bulb using the astrotracer.
10-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
To focus at night, find a bright star point lens at it, go into live view then magnify live view as far as it will go, then focus until the star is as small as possible. That trick works, and I learned it here on the forums. Definitely use the astrotracer. A 2 minute exposure works very well at 400-640 ISO. Use a cable or IR remote, but an electronic timer cable remote is the best way to go, and set it to a 3s delay. If you notice the stars trailing at 2 min, then cut the time of the exposure back by 5-10s each adjustment until you have minimal trailing. You will have to bump up the ISO but usually never more than 800 in bulb using the astrotracer.
2 minutes is going to trail with any lens... For a 14mm they can even trail a tiny bit at 30 seconds.

Best bet to focus at infinity during the day then either learn where that spot is on your reference scale, or make some sort of small mark on it you can reference at night, and research hyper focus distance Hyperfocus table if you need your foreground sharp as well

10-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Greenneck Quote
2 minutes is going to trail with any lens... For a 14mm they can even trail a tiny bit at 30 seconds.

Best bet to focus at infinity during the day then either learn where that spot is on your reference scale, or make some sort of small mark on it you can reference at night, and research hyper focus distance Hyperfocus table if you need your foreground sharp as well
2 minutes using a UWA with astrotracer function enabled is quite feasible. The edges will trail, but the center will be sharp. You will have foreground blur though. All depends on how you want to do the shot.
08-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaphil Quote
Hi everyone,

this was on of my first attempts in shooting the Milkyway. I used a Samyang 14mm f2.8. Lens was brand new and never used before. So I had to learn how to handle the lens
Hope you like it. Maybe you can give me some tipps how to do better
It was quiet hard to focus at night. I read that some people fix the focusring with tape. But I was shooting also in the day, so this was not a good option for me
Gorgeous!