Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
B&W conversion practice
Posted By: slowpez, 07-27-2008, 10:53 AM

The original photo of Ike Eisenhower's farm buildings.

Using lab lightness

And finally using gradient mapping

I also did a couple using channel mixer and the Gorman method but they seem a little dark - at least on my monitor.
How do you think these turned out.
Views: 2,104
07-27-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
Inactive Account

They look great to me! Any way you can bring some of the contrast out in the sky too? I like the bottom conversion the best, but the sky looks almost uniform in greyness on this one.

c[_]
07-27-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
They look great to me! Any way you can bring some of the contrast out in the sky too? I like the bottom conversion the best, but the sky looks almost uniform in greyness on this one.

c[_]
Thanks for the comment. I haven't a clue how to bring out the contrast in the sky. None of the conversions had much contrast in them, or if they did, the rest of the pic was just too dark. Will have to play around some more.
Thanks again for the C&C - every little bit helps.
Susan
07-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem with the sky is that the luminance is too consistent. We see differences in the color version because there are spots of color, but since the luminance of these areas is so similar it doesn't show in the conversion. The way to fix that would be to select the sky and create a new layer with just the sky in it. Then do a different conversion on that layer that brings out the contrast (the new black and white adjustment layer would be a great tool for this) in the sky without messing up the lower portion.

07-27-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The photos are great, by the way. My previous comment was just about the difficulty in adding contrast to gray skies.
07-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Dave, I'll see if I can figure out how to do that. I'm getting a little better in PS but is it a slow learning process. I appreciate your suggestion and C&C. Everyone on the forum has been so much help.
I'm glad you liked the photos.
Susan
07-27-2008, 06:02 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Hi Sue, how you doing?
I would crop the sky out to a little way above the house, that way the the fence line leads the eye up to the house. You should also try to bring out the detail in the grass that is below the fence.
Gary

Last edited by Damn Brit; 07-27-2008 at 08:40 PM.
07-29-2008, 07:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Hi Sue, how you doing?
I would crop the sky out to a little way above the house, that way the the fence line leads the eye up to the house. You should also try to bring out the detail in the grass that is below the fence.
Gary
Doing fine Damn Brit. Working hard with the camera and trying out lots of things to hopefully improve my picture-taking skills.
Thanks for the cropping suggestion. Bringing out detail in the grass I know from nothing about. Adjusting the contrast in the sky as Dave suggested is also beyond my current capabilities. Tried everything I could think of and so far have not been successful. Will keep plugging away though.
Susan (my sister's name is Sue )

07-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Doing fine Damn Brit. Working hard with the camera and trying out lots of things to hopefully improve my picture-taking skills.
Thanks for the cropping suggestion. Bringing out detail in the grass I know from nothing about. Adjusting the contrast in the sky as Dave suggested is also beyond my current capabilities. Tried everything I could think of and so far have not been successful. Will keep plugging away though.
Susan (my sister's name is Sue )
Sorry Susan, I noticed that you signed Susan last night and I filed a mental note but the filing system is a bit disordered at the moment. Please accept my apology.

As far as the picture goes, I'm down there with you on the photoshop front so it's a case of the blind leading the blind I'm afraid. The picture was a bit dark so I used levels to try and improve the exposure. The crop isn't that great, this kind of image would work better if the fences were closer together to give it that railroad track disappearing into the distance effect.
I'm sure there is plenty more that can be done to it I just haven't got that far into the book yet. The building is a little out of focus as well but but I don't think that matters much.

Wish I could be more help.

Gary

Last edited by Damn Brit; 09-23-2008 at 10:46 PM.
07-29-2008, 11:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
The problem with the sky is that the luminance is too consistent. We see differences in the color version because there are spots of color, but since the luminance of these areas is so similar it doesn't show in the conversion. The way to fix that would be to select the sky and create a new layer with just the sky in it. Then do a different conversion on that layer that brings out the contrast (the new black and white adjustment layer would be a great tool for this) in the sky without messing up the lower portion.
You can simulate a deep yellow graduated filter:

Select White foreground yellow background
Layer/New Layer/Gradient fill
Style Foreground to background

(you should an opaque layer fading from yellow on top to white on bottom)

Right click the layer thumbnail in the layers palette, select blending options
Set blend mode to multiply

(your should now see an image with the simulated yellow grad applied)

Layer/New Adjustment Layer/Hue+Saturation
Set saturation to zero

Now you have a black and white image. Make the gradient fill layer visible/invisible
to turn the filter on/off, or adjust the layer opacity (in blending options) to change the degree of the filter effect.

(40% opacity shown)

This is with photoshop CS 8.0. There may be an easier way to do it in later versions. Would work a lot better if the sky had some more blue in it.
Attached Images

07-30-2008, 04:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Mask the sky and then apply curves/levels to it alone. Use a decent amount of feathering so the transition is not too harsh.

Hard to tell differences in the conversion unless we have significantly larger images.
07-30-2008, 08:14 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Gary, all is forgiven on my side. Hard to tell how my sister Sue feels (I really do have a sister named Sue - long story). Thanks for your suggestions. The crop looks good. Can't see the OOF on my computer at 100% but the eyes are getting old.
Thanks also Robin and troyz, I'll give both your ideas a shot. I also have a probably useless idea to put more blue in the sky then convert it. I'm using PS6 (student edition) so should be easy to figure out how to implement your suggestions.
Thanks again everyone.
07-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #13
JMR
Veteran Member

I have a suggestion, which I tried on my K10. If you still have your image(s) on the card insert into the camera. If not, place images you want to change into black and white onto card and re-insert into the camera. Go to page 95 in your manual or the section on "digital filter."

1) Move to image you want and press Menu
2) press "Playback"
3) press "digital filter"
4) select BW and press "OK"

You will now have a very good black and white COPY of your image. I have found it to be a very good transitioner of color images, especally people images. It is a good place to start. Also it will not alter your original image, just make a copy in whatever filter is available in your camera. Try it.

By the way, I liked you colour image better with light pink sky and orange-brown decaying leaves creating lines, that along with the road and fence, lead the eye to the house and horizon. It would have been exceptional if the sky had just turned a little more colour.

JMR
07-30-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Tritone revision

How does the pic look in tritone? I did get more definition in the sky this way.

07-31-2008, 01:03 AM   #15
Damn Brit

Susan, to me it looks like a still from a David Lynch movie.
This is not a bad thing.
Gary