Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Machinery. Homemade tractor
Lens: Super Takumar smc 50/1.4 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Russia, Tarasiha ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Chetverovod, 10-18-2016, 08:20 AM

[IMG]IMGP6398[/IMG]

[IMG]IMGP6394[/IMG]

Last edited by Chetverovod; 10-18-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Views: 3,093
10-18-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Nice pix and I love that tractr. Looks very beefy with the heavy frame and very solid looking front axle. Be interesting to knw what kind of engine the tractor uses...make, # of cylinders, etc, transmission, etc. ?
10-18-2016, 08:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hi, Lesmore49! I looked under the hood. There installed two-cylinder two-stroke engine of the motorcycle IZH Jupiter-3, or 4 (about 25 hourse power). In addition, equipped with forced-air cooling and electric starter. Transmission is interlocked with the engine. Rear Axle probably from the car.

Apparently there is a hydraulic system to control the plow. In the spring, many plots of land under potato plowed such tractors.

Last edited by Chetverovod; 10-18-2016 at 09:00 AM.
10-18-2016, 08:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I need one of those,,,,,

10-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chetverovod Quote
Hi, Lesmore49! I looked under the hood. There installed two-cylinder two-stroke engine of the motorcycle IZH Jupiter-3, or 4 (about 25 hourse power). In addition, equipped with forced-air cooling and electric starter. Transmission is interlocked with the engine. Rear Axle probably from the car.

Apparently there is a hydraulic system to control the plow. In the spring, many plots of land under potato plowed such tractors.
Thanks for the info. I'm not too familiar with the IZH Jupiter engine, but I'm guessing it's a 350 cc similar in design to a Jawa 350cc, 2 stroke twin ? On the internet I have seen home made tractors powered by 250cc CZ engines, using the CZ transmission...linked by chain drive to power the front wheels.

This tractor in your photo looks really rugged and very capable. Forced air cooling should take care of engine cooling. It looks like a very useful, heavy duty utilitarian machine...those large rear driven tires look like the can handle traction limited situations very well.

Thanks again for sharing both a photograph and information on this tractor.

Les
10-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Thanks for the info. I'm not too familiar with the IZH Jupiter engine, but I'm guessing it's a 350 cc similar in design to a Jawa 350cc, 2 stroke twin ? On the internet I have seen home made tractors powered by 250cc CZ engines, using the CZ transmission...linked by chain drive to power the front wheels.

This tractor in your photo looks really rugged and very capable. Forced air cooling should take care of engine cooling. It looks like a very useful, heavy duty utilitarian machine...those large rear driven tires look like the can handle traction limited situations very well.

Thanks again for sharing both a photograph and information on this tractor.

Les
Yes, IZH Jupiter-3 has 350cc, 2 stroke twin. In my youth I spent some time repairing such motorcycle)
10-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Yes, IZH Jupiter-3 has 350cc, 2 stroke twin. In my youth I spent some time repairing such motorcycle)
I've been interested in Eastern European vehicles for many a year. In my youth I owned a Jawa and two CZ motorcycles. They were great, rugged and well built. Been a follower of MZ, Ural motorcycles and Skoda cars and Tatra trucks.

After your post regarding the engine used in the tractor, I checked out some Jupiter motorcycles out of interest, online. They remind me of the Jawa 350cc twin. The Jupiter does look like a solid, durable bike.

10-19-2016, 12:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've been interested in Eastern European vehicles for many a year. In my youth I owned a Jawa and two CZ motorcycles. They were great, rugged and well built. Been a follower of MZ, Ural motorcycles and Skoda cars and Tatra trucks.

After your post regarding the engine used in the tractor, I checked out some Jupiter motorcycles out of interest, online. They remind me of the Jawa 350cc twin. The Jupiter does look like a solid, durable bike.
I can say, that Jawa and CZ from Czech Republic were very popular in Soviet Union. IZH was a good brand, it made bikes-wheelhorse. Unfortunatly it was discontinued in 2000, but up to this moment I see these motorcycles on the roads in country areas. Most durable were of course heavy motorcycles Ural and Dnepr, many them were in use 20 and more years. But definitly, Ural not so simple as an IZH, it has much more parts))
10-23-2016, 07:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Another one.
[IMG]IMGP6431[/IMG]

[IMG]IMGP6439[/IMG]

[IMG]IMGP6444[/IMG]
10-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks for the additional pictures of another home made tractor. I can see ...what appears to a two stroke motorcycle type engine (guessing a Jupiter) mounted sideways. Looks like a twin, neat exhaust system..reminds me of my '60's VW mufflers...efficient, takes up little room.

I'm trying to guess how the drive system works....probably chain drive to the rear drive wheels ?

Again, a very solid machine, robustly made .

Les
10-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the additional pictures of another home made tractor. I can see ...what appears to a two stroke motorcycle type engine (guessing a Jupiter) mounted sideways. Looks like a twin, neat exhaust system..reminds me of my '60's VW mufflers...efficient, takes up little room.

I'm trying to guess how the drive system works....probably chain drive to the rear drive wheels ?

Again, a very solid machine, robustly made .

Les
Hi Les, this tractor has engine with one stroke ( I suppose from motorcycle IZH-50). Chain drive is used between engine's gearbox and second gearbox, you can see more details in my album at Flicr: https://flic.kr/s/aHskLKZWYy

Last edited by Chetverovod; 10-23-2016 at 11:34 AM. Reason: reference was added
10-23-2016, 08:54 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Hi Les, this tractor has engine with one stroke ( I suppose from motorcycle IZH-50). Chain drive is used between engine's gearbox and second gearbox, you can see more details in my album at Flicr: Traktors | Flickr
Hi Igor,

Thanks for providing the extra photos on Flikr.

From your pictures, I note some interesting modifications the tractor builder has made on the second tractor in your Flickr account.
The substitution of a longer hand controlled, gear shifter in place of the original foot shifter connected to the motorcycle gearbox on that 1 cylinder IZH. In one photograph, I also see now that it is a 2 stroke single cylinder , dual port engine. The dual exhaust ports on the engine, originally had me thinking it was a twin cylinder.

The steering mechanism is quite resourceful...I can see from your picture, it looks to be a heavy duty universal joint.

The frame work looks quite strong and large tractor tires no doubt enable the tractor to travel through difficult terrain.

I've been quite impressed with the inventive engineering that has gone into the design and construction, of these home made Russian tractors.

Les
10-23-2016, 09:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[/url]IMGP6398[/IMG]

[/url]IMGP6394[/IMG]
Thanks for sharing these homemade tractor photos - fascinating stuff. btw, I used to ride a CZ 400 dirt bike (400cc 2-stroke, single-cyl motorcycle) back in the day - what a beast!
10-24-2016, 01:35 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi Igor,

Thanks for providing the extra photos on Flikr.

From your pictures, I note some interesting modifications the tractor builder has made on the second tractor in your Flickr account.
The substitution of a longer hand controlled, gear shifter in place of the original foot shifter connected to the motorcycle gearbox on that 1 cylinder IZH. In one photograph, I also see now that it is a 2 stroke single cylinder , dual port engine. The dual exhaust ports on the engine, originally had me thinking it was a twin cylinder.

The steering mechanism is quite resourceful...I can see from your picture, it looks to be a heavy duty universal joint.

The frame work looks quite strong and large tractor tires no doubt enable the tractor to travel through difficult terrain.

I've been quite impressed with the inventive engineering that has gone into the design and construction, of these home made Russian tractors.

Les
Thank you, Les. I also was impressed by suspension of forward wils, of second tractor. It usese madified cardan junction.

---------- Post added 10-24-16 at 11:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Thanks for sharing these homemade tractor photos - fascinating stuff. btw, I used to ride a CZ 400 dirt bike (400cc 2-stroke, single-cyl motorcycle) back in the day - what a beast!
Thank you)