Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Graffiti Highway
Posted By: DeadJohn, 10-19-2016, 09:43 AM

This is what remains of a highway in Centralia, PA after an underground coal seam fire.

The fire started 1962 or earlier. The fire began to impact the local town in 1979 with dangerously high temperatures in gas station fuel tanks, buildup of carbon dioxide and monoxide, and sinkholes. The town has been mostly condemned but approximately 10 people continue to live there.

I met a university group as I passed through the area recently. They said the fire is mostly done and the local plants and wildlife are recovering.

Views: 809
10-19-2016, 09:53 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Great picture. I've just read up on Centralia... Fascinating
07-23-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
This is what remains of a highway in Centralia, PA after an underground coal seam fire.

The fire started 1962 or earlier. The fire began to impact the local town in 1979 with dangerously high temperatures in gas station fuel tanks, buildup of carbon dioxide and monoxide, and sinkholes. The town has been mostly condemned but approximately 10 people continue to live there.

I met a university group as I passed through the area recently. They said the fire is mostly done and the local plants and wildlife are recovering.

amazing story telling here! very well done
08-04-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote

Wow. What a sight.