Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
This wildlife shooting is "for the birds"... a walk on the beach
Posted By: Peter Zack, 07-27-2008, 09:10 PM

The more I try this stuff the more I admire the great shots we've seen here and sites dedicated to wildlife stuff. Some of these are in this weeks POTW as well.

So up at 4AM this morning, fresh batteries and the backpack, tripod and other junk. Living in an area surrounded by the ocean means a logical
shooting spot is often at the beach. Brackley Beach National Park PEI this time. Sunrise at 6.
Tims is closed, Phffft.

Start at the Cove Head Lighthouse which is inside the park and buried in the sand dunes. Of course the best shooting angle at this time in the morning would have been on the other side to catch the lighthouse with the rising sun. Some bureaucratic dope has a big Gov of Canada sign plastered across the front of the building. Ottawa at it's finest.

Don't you love the look of early morning light. It doesn't hurt that the sand and earth of PEI is tinted a clay red almost matching the early sunlight.

Now the sun is just coming to the edge of the horizon. If you've ever been on the ocean on a calm day, you know how incredible that sight remains time after time. The first rays hit the shoreline water.

The sun is now going into the first line of clouds creating intense reds, yellows and oranges. Frankly the sensor can't handle the dynamic range of light and colour but it does a pretty good job. it's going to be a hot day. The birds are chirping now all over the place.

Now to get further down the beach and find some of those noisy birds. The early light is still warm on a deserted and endless beach:

The first shorebird to show up (and several mates) was the rare and protected Piping Plover. Edit I've found out this isn't this bird if you read further down. it's a Semipalmated Plover. So I shot from 200 meters distance to give him space. The light and shutter speed was a little too low.

Next was something bigger and cautious but he was getting ready to do some fishing and intent on finding the right spot with the waning tides.

One of his mates was already set up nearby and looking for breakfast.

Not far from there was a flock of Sandpipers whizzing around the waters edge hunting for the buffet. They seem to burn more energy than they could possibly eat. Very nervous bunch as well.

Across from here and over a series of sand dunes is a large pond. There 3 families of ducks live. One mom and her 6 chicks were out for a swim in the warm early morning air.

They would stray from mom but only a little bit.

Then the dragonflies came out. I focused but they never landed where I wanted them. Ah well next time... Ants will have to do.

Back to the ducks...

Thanks for having a look.
Number 1 and number 5 were the DA16-45mm and the rest were with the 1000mm f10 Meade.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 08-01-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Views: 5,749
07-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots Peter... Love #1 , 9, 10, 11 and 12 are all great shots... Thanks for sharing. JIMBO
07-27-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
Igilligan

Hey Peter

Sometimes someone will post a very good series, but one the photos jumps out at me.

This one does that for me....
07-27-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Sometimes someone will post a very good series, but one the photos jumps out at me.

This one does that for me....
Dang Gus, you put it so well, I don't need to say anything. That is a neat shot Peter.
Gary

07-27-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice series Peter, thanks for showing us a bit more of PEI.

Take care,
07-28-2008, 04:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

thanks for the series, Peter, I really enjoyed looking at it. PEI is a beautiful place.
07-28-2008, 05:10 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Very nice series Peter. I particularly like that 5th shot, great colours.

07-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Igilligan and Gary, Thanks for the comments on the shot. It was something of an experiment and testing the limits of the lens as the sun started to rise. After a few shots I realized there was more there than just a few test shots.
07-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Very nice series Peter, thanks for showing us a bit more of PEI.

Take care,
Thanks Heinrich for having a look. So when are you coming to the Island? If you're up for sharing a brew at Peakes Quay, send me a PM.
07-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timbo13 Quote
thanks for the series, Peter, I really enjoyed looking at it. PEI is a beautiful place.
Thanks for the comments. It is a nice spot. Quiet and rural in most areas.
QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Very nice series Peter. I particularly like that 5th shot, great colours.
Thanks Scott for having a look and commening. Glad you liked them.
07-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

just stunning work Peter!
07-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Beautiful series Peter! I always enjoy looking at your part of the world. Thanks for posting these along with the great narrative.

Cheers,
07-28-2008, 08:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

You sure have some beautiful light on these images. I guess that comes from getting up early. Seems when I do try and get out early I'm greeted by coastal gray and fog. You have a beautiful collection of images here from your outing. Thanks for sharing it here.
07-29-2008, 04:40 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
just stunning work Peter!
Thanks for the comments Rosemary and taking the time to have a look.
07-29-2008, 05:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Thanks for the comments Rosemary and taking the time to have a look.
I am so gald I did not miss getting to see these