Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Orionids
Photo Location: Pyramid lake, Nevada 
Posted By: gifthorse, 10-22-2016, 04:34 PM

I went out for the Orionid meteor shower. The second quarter Moon made conditions less than ideal. While waiting I got a few other images.
The Milky Way.

Canis Major.

Perseus rising over Pyramid lake.

and finally, a meteor.

Views: 610
10-23-2016, 08:30 AM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really nice images! I especially like the meteor!

Thanks for sharing these great astro images! I'd love to dip my toe in astro images, but am limited on the knowledge!
11-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #3

I really like the Milky Way shot, I'd love to shoot something like you! I guess I am too lazy to get the car and drive far away from crowded, light-polluted areas.

You mention the moon was at its second quarter, is it the shimmer below the horizon on the left?
It seems to me you used just the kit lens (18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR), am I right?
2 minutes exposure, even if at 18mm (27mm full-frame), but the stars are still not trailing much! Did you work heavily in post?

Anyhow great image!
11-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Orionids
That sounds like something you should cream from you local pharmacy for.

11-11-2016, 04:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. csa, There's a number of astro threads on the boards here. Or you can ask specific questions and there's a lot of knowledge on the boards here. It's frustrating and rewarding. And I like being out where there's not a human within 40 or fifty miles. manu_bot, the glow in the first image is light pollution from Reno, Nevada, some 35 miles away. Getting away from light pollution is a must for shooting the Milky Way. I also use a couple of 50mm 1.4 lenses and one of my favorite night lenses is a Vivitar 28mm f2 'close focusing' lens. I had just acquired the 18-35 lens and was trying it out. The lack of trailing at 18mm is due to the Astrotracer. I didn't do a lot of post processing. Mostly some slight color correction and boosting contrast. Kerrowdown, be careful with creams from the chemist. Did you know that if you grab the tube of Ben-Gay instead of the tube of Preparation H, you can outrun bullets?