Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
where I went and what i saw this weekend
Lens: da* 300 f4 Camera: K5iis Photo Location: venice fl 
Posted By: dewolf, 10-22-2016, 04:36 PM

This will be my last post for some time folks, so I am making it a larger one. Hope to back late November

The Kingfisher has moved on to another territory so snapped a few of the locals Friday and Saturday.

Venice Rookery

Birds of a feather <female Grackles>

Name:  IMGP7790.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  535.5 KB

Grackle in reeds
Name:  IMGP7659.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  610.4 KB

OMG hes got a camera...
Name:  IMGP7959.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  593.3 KB

Amazed at the clarity of this lens still
Name:  IMGP7963.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  510.9 KB

was that head first, or feet first.?
Name:  IMGP7792.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  220.1 KB

Out of frame, but a nice focus from ASC with this lens. The focus was fast enough, I was not. Snowy Egret
Name:  IMGP7885.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  718.0 KB

Wood Stork
Name:  IMGP7597.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  597.1 KB

Female Red-wing Blackbird
Name:  IMGP7639.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  681.1 KB

Snowy Egret
Name:  IMGP7859.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  694.9 KB

Between the lines, and vines
Name:  IMGP7943.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  760.3 KB

Last edited by dewolf; 10-25-2016 at 01:43 PM. Reason: changing abstract to nature, woopsie
Views: 968
10-22-2016, 05:48 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent series. You're a true master of the DA* 300!
10-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #3
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Excellent series. You're a true master of the DA* 300!
Thank you
The equipment is the master, I just push its buttons when it tells me too lol

---------- Post added 10-22-16 at 10:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
Thank you
The equipment is the master, I just push its buttons when it tells me too lol
also wonmdering how well this will pair with the K3 especialy where AF is concerned. I will be saving to upgrade to the K3 this year, well in 2017 anyway probably buy a used one off the forum here
10-23-2016, 12:54 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
also wonmdering how well this will pair with the K3 especialy where AF is concerned
Think this is the combo that normhead uses and produces stunning results, give him a PM.

10-23-2016, 01:51 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Vow, stunning series.
10-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Lovely photos - the last is my favorite.
10-25-2016, 08:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
Lovely photos - the last is my favorite.
Excellent photos. The photographer has to know what buttons to push to get these images.

10-25-2016, 08:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian

My question would be how did you get so close to all those birds? The would be like the walk of a lifetime for me.
10-25-2016, 09:17 AM   #9
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by kent vinyard Quote
Excellent photos. The photographer has to know what buttons to push to get these images.
Well, true that That's where this forum comes in handy I have learned a lot here.

TY

Dewolf

---------- Post added 10-25-16 at 12:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My question would be how did you get so close to all those birds? The would be like the walk of a lifetime for me.
Well its a 300MM after all which allows for some distance. But most of the birds at the rookery have been seeing photographers and tripods for decades, they have no fear really. If you move slow and respect their peace you can get 5-6 ft away. Usually the small birds are the toughest, 20 ft away or more for them usually. I have had tricoloured Herons walk by me so close they were to close to focus on, less than 4 ft away. What doesn't come close enough gets the crop out and up treatment, and that's where a really good lens makes the difference. The camera does the greater part, the lens can give you the resolution to crop deeper. I do a walk around the island rookery away from the edges giving wildlife a wide path so I don't disturb, then If I see something Im interested in and slowly move closer at different angles of approach, never straight on. I try to remain calm, collected, and look like I am just passing by till I am close enough.
Almost everything I do is free hand, no tripod. There are the rare occasions I will use one, especially for time laps and astrophotography, But I don't like being tied down to one at the rookery, and this freehand approach is less threatening to the birds. Most of the blokes there have the giant Bigma lenses and large tripods, and mostly they stay in one place shooting the same group if egrets several hundred times. I like to walk when I can. If I tire, then I will sit on the grass and wait for nature to show up in front of me. I know it sounds nuts, but I feel honored to be there, to watch them,, and im even more honored to photograph the wildlife. I think they feel that My Karma is respectful and not intrusive. Know them, their attitudes, their needs, and how much space they are willing to give, and photograph within those restraints. I always feel I have been given a gift when I leave there. The Big boys and their big gear can sit and watch their island, I will photograph anything and everything else It is going to be very difficult for me to not be there for the next month, but while I am sitting and recuperating I will have time to edit and sort the thousands of images I haven't got to yet

Thanks

Dewolf

---------- Post added 10-25-16 at 12:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Think this is the combo that normhead uses and produces stunning results, give him a PM.
thanks, but for the life of me I haven't figured out how to do the PM thing, but he stopped in none the less
10-25-2016, 10:00 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I use the DA*200 and don't own a DA*300, but jacamar does.
10-25-2016, 01:44 PM   #11
dewolf

curious why the Exif data popup doesn't show