Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
H'Mong of North Vietnam
Camera: Pentax K-20 
Posted By: Schraubstock, 10-22-2016, 08:08 PM

Hi
I thought I'll try something a little different here.

Some left over pictures I shot as a travel photographer targeting the H'Mong tribes of the Cat Cat Village in Sapa North Vietnam sometime back in 2009.

These are women of the minority tribes in North Vietnam who are collectively known as H'Mong. There are subgroups, White, Flower, Red and Black H'Mong.

They still dress every day in their traditional garb identifying them to their particular subgroup. To say they are very colourful is an understatement.
Women belonging to the red H'Mong wear bright red turban-like headgear.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-15-2016 at 03:09 AM.
Views: 808
10-23-2016, 12:50 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Remember Pentax doesn't do Red... especially the K20D with it's Blue bias.

Interesting bit of extra insight and fine set of travel imagery.
10-23-2016, 03:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Remember Pentax doesn't do Red... especially the K20D
Now you tell me, had I known this I doubt I would have taken these shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Interesting bit of extra insight and fine set of travel imagery.
Thanks for that.

I guess not too many people have a chance to see these very colouful people. For a start it takes about an extremely uncomfortable 8 hrs by train from Hanoi to Lao Cai and then another hour or so to Sapa by road. (No airport - no flights) The train from Hanoi to Lao Cai is a journey which is roughly equivalent to a 300km train ride on the ICE (Intercity Express) from Berlin to Hamburg which takes 100min. But they are old trains and tracks I think were left behind by the French.

The best place to see all the H'mong is to go to any of the traditional markets. (Mainly held on weekends) I traveled to Bac-Ha market which is about a two hour trip by car on an unmade road, only recommended be fearless thrill seekers.

Thanks again

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-23-2016 at 03:44 AM. Reason: typo
10-23-2016, 03:44 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Very interesting series and also story.

10-23-2016, 04:26 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice series and well executed. I like the positions of people when you shot them. Very good work. I looked at these a long time and I do not see how Nikon or Canon could do any better.

Many thanks for sharing.

Antonio
10-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Very interesting series and also story.
My long departed Scottish aunt used to say: "Self-praise is nay onna" but I will admit to myself I came home with a lot of nice photographs.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Very good work. I looked at these a long time and I do not see how Nikon or Canon could do any better.
You are right, even 7 - 8 years ago digital cameras of most makers were very good.
Thanks for commenting.

Cheers
10-23-2016, 04:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These photos are fascinating, those ladies are wearing modern jackets but their traditional clothing is woven, with meticulous beadwork, tassels, and lace sewed in layers I can only imagine the amount of time and skill taken to create such headgear and clothing.

10-24-2016, 03:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
These photos are fascinating, those ladies are wearing modern jackets but their traditional clothing is woven, with meticulous beadwork, tassels, and lace sewed in layers I can only imagine the amount of time and skill taken to create such headgear and clothing.
Thanks for commenting and I am pleased to see you as an expert can understand the needlework. Indeed fascinating for me even as a bloke; at every opportunity out come the needles and threads. A lot of the women carry their needles along with them day and night. You can often see needles stuck in the hats they wear. See photo.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-15-2016 at 03:09 AM.