Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
Colias croceus - Pixel shift
Lens: 100mm macro WR Camera: K3 II Photo Location: Rome, Italy ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/2s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: macrophotos, 10-23-2016, 03:21 AM

My first photo in this forum
I love macro and close up photography ( and my K3 II )
This is Colias croceus taken in ambient light, just after sunrise, in my orchard, with tripod and pixel shift, no wind.
Original version for better view:
www.photosocial.it/fotomie/colias.jpg

Antonio

Name:  colias1280.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  305.5 KB

Views: 2,072
10-23-2016, 03:31 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums - great to have you with us

That's a beautiful shot, and an excellent use of pixel-shift! Did you shoot JPEG or RAW, and if RAW, what did you use for the pixel-shift post-processing... DCU, Lightroom, ...?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-23-2016 at 06:20 AM.
10-23-2016, 03:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice indeed.
10-23-2016, 09:09 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Welcome to the forums - great to have you with us

That's a beautiful shot, and an excellent use of pixel-shift! Did you shoot JPEG or RAW, and if RAW, what did you use for the pixel-shift post-processing... DCU, Lightroom, ...?
Thanks
I shoot always in Raw and I use only Photoshop: Camera Raw for basic adjustment and only sharpness in Photoshop, then I save to Tiff for backup and in jpeg for web
Antonio

10-23-2016, 09:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Very nice indeed.
Thanks
Antonio
10-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by macrophotos Quote
I shoot always in Raw and I use only Photoshop: Camera Raw for basic adjustment and only sharpness in Photoshop, then I save to Tiff for backup and in jpeg for web
Thanks for that, Antonio. So, could I ask... are you adjusting the pixel-shift resolution effect using the sharpness control in Camera Raw? I'm interested to know what (if anything) you do differently for pixel-shift versus regular images, as I've had limited success with Lightroom on the few attempts I've made, and end up using DCU instead. If you're happy to share your process, I'd appreciate it
10-23-2016, 12:20 PM   #7

Original Poster
No, i always apply sharpness in Photoshop, normal file or pixel shift (unsharp mask tool in english version...I think...)
I think that in digital Raw photo it's necessary operation
I use unsharp mask in Photoshop, not in Camera Raw.
Intensity and radius are variables depending of the photo

10-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

OK... And do you notice the difference between pixel-shift and standard images processed that way? The reason I'm asking is that I thought the initial pixel-shift resolution effect had to be brought out at the RAW stage. You'll have to forgive my ignorance, here - I'm quite inexperienced with pixel-shift. But, I'd have thought that by the time the image is flattened to TIFF for Photoshop, it wouldn't show much benefit without first using the sharpening in Camera Raw... Is that not the case? Thanks for any explanation!
10-23-2016, 06:37 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow - how did you convince the creature to wait around long enough to set up a tripod? Nice and sharp with beautiful bokeh.
10-23-2016, 10:46 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Wow - how did you convince the creature to wait around long enough to set up a tripod? Nice and sharp with beautiful bokeh.
Thanks RobG
The butterflies, dragonflies etc just after sunrise ( and night ) are always immobilized, is temperature is low and/or humidity level is high ( dewdrops). I live in Italy, near Rome, only in summer I must go in mountain to photograph ( in summer then insects are not immobilized even just after sunrise)
Antonio

---------- Post added 10-23-16 at 11:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
OK... And do you notice the difference between pixel-shift and standard images processed that way? The reason I'm asking is that I thought the initial pixel-shift resolution effect had to be brought out at the RAW stage. You'll have to forgive my ignorance, here - I'm quite inexperienced with pixel-shift. But, I'd have thought that by the time the image is flattened to TIFF for Photoshop, it wouldn't show much benefit without first using the sharpening in Camera Raw... Is that not the case? Thanks for any explanation!
If I understand ( sorry but English language is not my language....):
The file with pixel shift is always better than the file without... I apply unsharp mask always ( pixel shift or not) but not in camera raw ( I don't like the result), I use only PS unsharp mask tool
10-24-2016, 12:05 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks RobG
The butterflies, dragonflies etc just after sunrise ( and night ) are always immobilized, is temperature is low and/or humidity level is high ( dewdrops). I live in Italy, near Rome, only in summer I must go in mountain to photograph ( in summer then insects are not immobilized even just after sunrise)
Antonio
Milli grazi. I have another reason to try to get up earlier in the morning.
10-24-2016, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

If I understand ( sorry but English language is not my language....):
The file with pixel shift is always better than the file without... I apply unsharp mask always ( pixel shift or not) but not in camera raw ( I don't like the result), I use only PS unsharp mask tool
Thank you for the explanation - that's very helpful. Your image certainly looks very detailed indeed; it' beautiful
10-24-2016, 10:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Nice! And the composition really makes this photo special. Welcome to the forum!
10-24-2016, 12:58 PM   #14
Urs
Pentaxian

Fantastic shot! Thanks for sharing!
10-25-2016, 01:01 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
Nice! And the composition really makes this photo special. Welcome to the forum!
QuoteOriginally posted by Urs Quote
Fantastic shot! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks!
Antonio