Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Sharqiya Sands
Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Oman 
Posted By: Schraubstock, 10-24-2016, 03:45 AM

Hi

Pretty well exactly a year ago I traveled in Oman. I hired a private driver to take me on a day trip into the Sharqiya Desert, formerly known as Wahiba Sands. The shot with the driver standing at his car from a distance was not easy to get as I set myself the goal to take the picture without my foot prints in the sand. This meant I had to walk a long way around. Sounds easy but it is not. The loose fine powdery shifting sand makes walking extremely difficult and energy sapping particularly going dunes up hill, You go two metre forward and slide back one. Down hill is much easier as you slide most of the time but you finish up with sand everywhere, in your boots, pockets and underpants. Now I know why the locals wear those "Dishdashas".

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-15-2016 at 03:09 AM.
Views: 486
10-24-2016, 04:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

A land god has chosen to ignore.
Great for photography though - take a look at Edward Weston's work if you are not already familiar with it.
It would be interesting to know what plant that is that can survive such an environment.
10-24-2016, 10:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. I want to go to Oman now. Love the photos. #3 is my favorite. Thanks for posting these.
10-24-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

Pretty well exactly a year ago I traveled in Oman. I hired a private driver to take me on a day trip into the Sharqiya Desert, formerly known as Wahiba Sands. The shot with the driver standing at his car from a distance was not easy to get as I set myself the goal to take the picture without my foot prints in the sand. This meant I had to walk a long way around. Sounds easy but it is not. The loose fine powdery shifting sand makes walking extremely difficult and energy sapping particularly going dunes up hill, You go two metre forward and slide back one. Down hill is much easier as you slide most of the time but you finish up with sand everywhere, in your boots, pockets and underpants. Now I know why the locals wear those "Dishdashas".

Cheers
Third image ... Stunning !
The contrasts are so good; great shot !

10-24-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Like nothing I have ever seen before. It was well worth your going out of the way to take these amazing images.
10-24-2016, 10:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hi

Thanks to all who gave these pictures the thumbs up.

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
It would be interesting to know what plant that is that can survive such an environment
I did ask, wrote it down and then promptly lost the piece of paper. Only remember one Arabic name for the one in the second picture: Called Rimth. Googling for it cam up with Haloxylon salicornicum. Obviously a plant as tough as nails. But Camels don't seem to mind, they snack on it

Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
I want to go to Oman now. Love the photos.
Do it !
I thoroughly enjoyed Oman and its people. I would rate Omanis as one of the most friendly people anywhere. The are approachable, very polite, always friendly and they seem to be honest and hospitable toward foreigners. They give the Muslim religion a complete new face. And they look so elegant dressed in their Dishdashas.

Getting into taxis, I never felt I was going to be ripped off. Taxis don't have meters so the fare is given to you before you enter the taxi. Surprisingly, I had traveled to the same destination several times in different taxis and the price was always the same. One day I was going back to the hotel and the taxi driver ask me whether I had seen much of the old part of Muscat and when I told him I hadn't he promptly took me on a tour with frequent photo stops. Free of charge ! Back at the hotel I gave him a healthy tip which took some negotiating for him to accept.

By the way all taxis are absolutely spotless inside and out and so are all cars on the road as it attracts a fine to drive around with a dirty car. How is that !

Cheers

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Third image ... Stunning ! The contrasts are so good; great shot !
Thanks for that, appreciate it.

QuoteOriginally posted by joip Quote
Like nothing I have ever seen before. It was well worth your going out of the way to take these amazing images.
I have gone through Dubai many times and finally decided to detour for a brief visit to Oman. This was my first time in a real sandy desert. (Not that we haven't got any in Australia) Lots to see and photograph as well as a number of old Portuguese castles and fortifications they left behind. I am impressed with Oman.

Cheers