Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Mam Tor Gate
Lens: 31mm f1.8 Limited Camera: Pentax K-1 Photo Location: Mam Tor, Peak District ISO: 100 Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Peter Nutkins, 10-24-2016, 11:05 PM

[IMG]Mam Tor Gate byPeter Nutkins, on Flickr[/IMG]

Got up at 3:14am and drove to Mam Tor to get this shot. Was expecting a gorgeous sunrise ....instead got very wet in the clouds!

Oh well!

Have a great day

Peter
Views: 563
10-25-2016, 01:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Murphy's Law strikes again. I quite like it actually, there must be some splendid views in other directions from that point as well. Are the vertical stones the original gate posts ?
10-25-2016, 06:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bad weather always present golden photographic opportunities. Some of my all time most memorable shots have been taken in bad weather.
10-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for bringing back some memories with that shot. It must be 35+ years since I last saw Mam Tor. I can remember when you used to be able to drive around the base of the hill before the last big landslide that took out the main through road.

For those that don't know Mam Tor is also known as the Shivering Mountain, so named because it is so unstable that sections frequently shear off. Mam Tor actually means 'Mother Hill' in Olde English as all the landslides over the centuries have created a series of small hillocks around the base like children around the feet of their mother.

Mam Tor is located in an extremely beautiful part of the UK and is close to four famous 'show caves' that are popular with tourists and the only source of the world famous Blue John semi-precious rock. The caves are well worth a visit as each is unique and interesting in it's own right.

10-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Beautiful photograph. Lighting and composition. Reminds me of a scene from an old Bronte novel. Desolation, pastoral...it's got it all. I would frame it. I've looked at a number of times...holds my eye.
10-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
Murphy's Law strikes again. I quite like it actually, there must be some splendid views in other directions from that point as well. Are the vertical stones the original gate posts ?
Hi PenPusher! There were some great views, it was just that the wind was so strong and would have soaked the front of the lens being in cloud most of the time. Facing the other way made it difficult to breath with the wind. I presume the stones were the old posts....

---------- Post added 25th Oct 2016 at 11:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Bad weather always present golden photographic opportunities. Some of my all time most memorable shots have been taken in bad weather.
Thanks Normhead.....just wish I had spent a bit more money on my 'waterproof' clothing that was not that waterproof!

---------- Post added 25th Oct 2016 at 11:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
Thanks for bringing back some memories with that shot. It must be 35+ years since I last saw Mam Tor. I can remember when you used to be able to drive around the base of the hill before the last big landslide that took out the main through road.

For those that don't know Mam Tor is also known as the Shivering Mountain, so named because it is so unstable that sections frequently shear off. Mam Tor actually means 'Mother Hill' in Olde English as all the landslides over the centuries have created a series of small hillocks around the base like children around the feet of their mother.

Mam Tor is located in an extremely beautiful part of the UK and is close to four famous 'show caves' that are popular with tourists and the only source of the world famous Blue John semi-precious rock. The caves are well worth a visit as each is unique and interesting in it's own right.
Glad you like the shot! There is a lay-by that gets you pretty close - only enough rooms for one car really. There is an old settlement on the Tor too - the National Trust have put up some info about it at the base.

Have a great day!

---------- Post added 25th Oct 2016 at 11:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Beautiful photograph. Lighting and composition. Reminds me of a scene from an old Bronte novel. Desolation, pastoral...it's got it all. I would frame it. I've looked at a number of times...holds my eye.
Glad you enjoyed the view!
10-25-2016, 12:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love the hike up cave dale, across the meadows, up to Mam-Tor.

From last time I was there.

10-25-2016, 11:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Love the hike up cave dale, across the meadows, up to Mam-Tor.

From last time I was there.

Great video...thanks