Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Fermilab in July
Posted By: TER-OR, 10-27-2016, 06:50 PM

Just got around to editing my photos from July 15th. Got some gold in there.

A female Lasioglossum (dilactus) on monarda. She's loaded with pollen!
[IMG][/IMG]

Full-flower crop of that bee - this is worth framing, I'm collecting images for printing.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here she is stretching in for nectar.
[IMG][/IMG]

Blue Dasher dragonfly. Pretty common subject.
[IMG][/IMG]

Two of my favorite subjects - a Ceratina bee and chickory flower. So. Much. Blue.
[IMG][/IMG]

Male Bombus auricomus on alert. These guys are very territorial, I've seen them chase finches away from compass plants. They're not as big as the queens, but still over an inch long.
[IMG][/IMG]
Views: 1,383
10-27-2016, 10:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great shots congratulations
10-28-2016, 12:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good work. The last is my favorite. I know it takes a lot of patience to wait for an insect to pose just right for macro.
10-28-2016, 05:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
In the field, it's mostly chasing them around and not scaring them away. Some you'll only get if you stay near their perch, but others you just gotta keep moving and get to where you can snap a shot. Plenty of wasted shots as these bees keep moving...

10-28-2016, 07:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Plenty of wasted shots as these bees keep moving...
There's one of the differences in the modern method then. My experience in macro was many years back when I couldn't afford to waste very much film. Kodachrome 25 was getting expensive.
12-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Just got around to editing my photos from July 15th. Got some gold in there.
Gold indeed! Great job. I have pictures from a June trip to AK I haven't had time to even preview. That's the problem with 450GB of data from a trip.
I planted some Bee Balm a year ago last summer. This year it produced, and I've never seen so many bumblebees in one place. The hummers liked it too.
12-08-2016, 10:22 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
Gold indeed! Great job. I have pictures from a June trip to AK I haven't had time to even preview. That's the problem with 450GB of data from a trip.
I planted some Bee Balm a year ago last summer. This year it produced, and I've never seen so many bumblebees in one place. The hummers liked it too.
Yeah the bee balm is a solid performer. They will flower twice if you deadhead them, though I'm too lazy to do so. Look closely, you'll see lots of the tiny bees at the flowers, too. The pink stuff is our native Monarda, and is a great plant.